The Role of Organic Matter and Aluminum in Zinc and Copper Transport through Forest Podsol Soil Profiles
Studies of mobilization of zinc and copper from three sites in Poland with moderate, high and very high levels of acid anions in precipitation (Janów Forest, Izerskie Mountains and forest of Pulawy region) are presented in this paper.
It was found that concentrations of heavy metals in podzol soil solutions from upper layers (O, A, E, and B) were highly depended on dissolved organic carbon whereas in B/C and C levels on aluminum concentration. In podzolized ranker loam soils concentrations of Zn and Cu depends mostly on DOC content.
Keywordszinc mobilization copper mobilization soil DOC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kabata-Pendias, A., Adriano, D.C.: Trace metals. In: Rechcigl, J.E., (ed.) Soil amendments and environmental quality. Lewis Publishers, 1995, 139-167.Google Scholar
- 4.Sposito G., Mattigod S.V.: GEOCHEM: A computer program for the calculation of chemical equilibria in soil solutions and other natural water systems. The Kearney Foundation of Soil Science, University of California, Riverside, California: USA, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Vesely, J.: Effects of acidification on trace metal transport in fresh waters. In: Steinberg, C.E.W. and Wright, R.F. (eds.) Acidification of freshwater ecosystems: implications for future. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Vogt, R.D., Godzik, S., Kotowski, M., Niklinska, M., Pawlowski, L., Seip, H.M., Sienkiewicz, J., Skotte, G., Staszewski, T., Szarek, G., Tyszka, J., Aagard, P.: Soil, soil water and stream water chemistry at some Polish sites with varying acid deposition. Journal of Ecological Chemistry, 1994, 3, 325–356.Google Scholar
- 7.Larssen, T., Vogt, R.D., Seip, H.M.: A comparison of soil-and water chemistry in a cachment in China with sites in Poland and Norway. In: Pawlowski, L. at al. (eds.) Chemistry for the protection of the environment, 2. Plenum Press, 1996, 421-434.Google Scholar
- 8.Kotowski, M.: Soil and soil water chemistry at some Polish sites with acid podzol soils, 1998, This volume.Google Scholar