Fractionation and Characterization of Water-Soluble Polymers
The molecular structure of polymers is very complex, and characterization is never an easy task. Characterization is important scientifically, as it relates to mechanisms of polymer formation and degradation, and technically, as it relates to industrially significant properties of polymers. Thus the effectiveness of polyacrylic acid in the inhibition of boiler scale depends on molar mass, and the rate at which polymer solution can be pumped through rock in oil reservoirs is critically dependent upon the number and size of the largest solution species present.
KeywordsMolar Mass Water Soluble Polymer Polyacrylic Acid High Molar Mass Molar Mass Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Eisenberg, ‘Biological Macromolecules and Polyelectrolytes in Solution’, 1976: Oxford. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- J. H.S. Green and R. Dietz (Eds.), ‘Industrial Polymers: Characterization by Molecular Weight’. 1973: London. Transcripta Books.Google Scholar
- N.C. Billingham, ‘Molar Mass Measurement in Polymer Science’. 1977: London. Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- L.H. Tung (Ed.), ‘Fractionation of Polymers’. 1979:New York. Marcel Dekker.Google Scholar
- M.J. R. Cantow (Ed.), ‘Polymer Fractionation’. 1967: New York. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- J. W. Williams, ‘Ultracentrifugation of Macromolecules’. 1972:New York. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- M.B. Huglin (Ed.), ‘Light Scattering from Polymer Solutions’. 1979: London, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 1.M.F. Vaughan and R. Dietz, ‘Preparative gel permeation chromatography’, in ‘Chromatography of Synthetic and Biological Polymers’ (Ed. by R. Epton). 1978:Chiehester. Ellis Horwood.Google Scholar
- 4.P.J. Flory, ‘Principles of Polymer Science’ 1967: Ithaca, New York. Cornell University Press, p.620–622.Google Scholar
- 8.N. Friis and A. Hamielec, ‘Gel Permeation Chromatography: A Review of Axial Dispersion Phenomena, their Detection and Correction’, Adv.Chromatog., 1975, 13, 41.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Goedhart and A. Opschoor, ‘Polymer Characterization by coupling Gel-Permeation Chromatography and Automatic Viscometry’, J.polymer Sci., A-2, 1970, 8, 1227.Google Scholar
- 15.R.S. Seright, J. M. Maerker and G. Holzwarth, ‘Mechanical Degradation of polyacrylamide induced by flow through Porous Media’, ACS Polymer Preprints, 1981, 22, 30.Google Scholar