Development of Olfactory and Taste Responses to Chemical Signals in Acipenserid Fishes
The functional development of chemoreceptor systems in ontogeny is one of the scantily explored aspects of chemoreception in fishes (Appelbaum, 1980). Many authors investigating the development of olfaction in fishes have discovered in young larvae an ability to react to biologically relevant odorants. Detailed studies of the time when this ability appears and the time when juveniles evidence sensitivity to such stimuli have been undertaken on cyprinids using food odours (Kasumyan and Ponomarev, 1990) and alarm pheromones (Smith, 1977; Waldman, 1982; Pachschenko and Kasumyan, 1983, 1986).
KeywordsGreen Sturgeon Alarm Pheromone Olfactory Organ Siberian Sturgeon Food Odour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Appelbaum, S., 1980, Versuche zur Geschmacksperzeption einiger Susswassserfische im larvalen und adulten Stadium, Arch. Fischereiwiss., 31, 2: 105–114.Google Scholar
- Caprio, J., 1982, High sensitivity and specificity of olfactory and gustatory receptors of catfish to amino acids, in: “Chemoreception in Fishes”, T.J. Hara, ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Kasumyan, A.O., Ponomarev, V.Yu., 1986, Study of the behaviour of zebrafish, Brachidannio rerio, in response to natural chemical food stimuli, J. Ichthyol., 26, 5: 96–105.Google Scholar
- Kasumyan, A.O., Ponomarev, V.Yu., 1990, The development of food search behaviour to natural chemical signals in the ontogeny of cyprinid fishes, Voprosy Ichthyologyí, 30, 3: 447–456.Google Scholar
- Pashschenko, N.I., Kasumyan, A.O., 1983, Some morpho-functional peculiarities of the olfactory organ in ontogeny of the minnow, Phoxinus phoxinus (Cypriniformes, Cyprinídae), Zoological J., 62, 3: 367377.Google Scholar
- Pashschenko, N.I., Kasumyan, A.O., 1986, Morpho-functional features of the olfactory organ of cyprinid fishes. I. Morphology and function of the olfactory organ during ontogeny of the white amur, Ctenopharyngodon idella, J. Ichthyol., 26, 5: 96–105.Google Scholar
- Smith, R.J.F., 1977, Chemical communication as adaptation: alarm substance of fish, in: “Chemical signals in vertebrates”, D. Müller-Schwarze and M.M. Mozell, eds., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar