Chaos, Phase Locking and Bifurcation in Normal Squid Axons
Membrane potential responses of squid giant axons to periodic trains of current pulses were experimentally studied in detail. The giant axon of squid (Doryteuthis bleekeri) was exposed under normal physiological conditions; the intact axon was immersed in natural sea water at 14 ± 0.01°C, and stimulated with periodic trains of current pulses with the pulse intensity I and the period T. The firing modes were determined as a function of I/Ith and T where Ith stood for the threshold current intensity: periodic and chaotic responses were obtained.
KeywordsFiring Rate Current Pulse Firing Pattern Potential Response Giant Axon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Aihara et al., in this volume.Google Scholar
- K. Aihara and G. Matsumoto, in “Chaos”, A.V. Holden, ed., Manchester University Press, 1986 and Princeton University Press, 1986, p. 257.Google Scholar
- P. Urge, Y. Pomeau and C. Vidal, “Order within Chaos - Towards a Deterministic Approach to Turbulence”, translated from the French edition by L. Tukerman, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1986).Google Scholar
- M.R. Guevara, L. Glass, M.C. Mackey and A. Shrier, IEEE Trans. System, Man and Cybernetics SMC-13: 790 (1983).Google Scholar
- Y. Hanyu, N. Takahashi, R. Kubo and G. Matsumoto, to be submitted to Phys. Rev.Google Scholar
- A.V. Holden and M.A. Muhamad, in “Cybernetics and Systems Research 2”, R. Trappl, ed., Elsevier, North-Holland, Amsterdam, p. 245 (1984).Google Scholar
- G. Matsumoto, K. Aihara, Y. Hanyu, N. Takahashi, S. Yoshizawa and J. Nagumo, Phys. Lett. A (in press).Google Scholar
- G. Matsumoto, K. Aihara, M. Ichikawa and A. Tasaki, J. Theor. Neurobiol. 3: 1 (1984).Google Scholar
- N. Takahashi, Y. Hanyu, T. Musha and G. Matsumoto, to be submitted to Phys. Rev.Google Scholar
- J.M.T. Thompson, and H.B. Stewart, in “Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos”, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1986).Google Scholar
- I. Tsuda, Prog. Theor. Phys. 66: 1985 (1981).Google Scholar
- M. Yamaguchi and M. Hata, in “Competition and Cooperation in Neural Nets”, S. Amari and M.A. Arbib, eds., Lecture Notes in Biomathematics 45:171, Springer (1982).Google Scholar