Hypertension: The Disease and the Possible Influence of Stress Responses in Its Development
- 76 Downloads
In this final chapter of the book’s first section we shall consider the possible association between heightened cardiovascular reactivity and later cardiovascular disease. This potential association has been a major driving force behind reactivity research in recent years, and a considerable number of publications have addressed this issue in detail. Presented here is a selection of the vast quantity of information relating to the role of stress and reactivity in the development of hypertension.
KeywordsCardiac Output Blood Pressure Response Total Peripheral Resistance Cardiovascular Reactivity Essential Hypertensive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Folkow, B. (1990). “Structural factor” in primary and secondary hypertension. Hypertension, 16, 89–101.Google Scholar
- 2.Folkow, B., & Neil, E. (1971). Circulation. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- 4.Genest, J., Koiw, E., & Kuchel, O. (1977). Hypertension: Pathophysiology and treatment. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- 5.Kannel, W.B., & Sorlie, P (1975). Hypertension in Framingham. In O. Paul (Ed.), Epidemiology and control of hypertension (pp. 553–592 ). New York: Intercontinental Medical Book Corporation.Google Scholar
- 6.Lovallo, W.R., & Wilson, M.F. (1992). A biobehavioral model of hypertension development. In J.R. Turner, A. Sherwood, & K.C. Light (Eds.), Individual differences in cardiovascular response to stress (pp. 265–280 ). New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- 8.Matthews, K.A., Weiss, S.M., Detre, T., Dembroski, T.M., Falkner, B., Manuck, S.B., & Williams, R.B., Jr. (1986). Handbook of stress, reactivity, and cardiovascular disease. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 9.Obrist, P.A. (1985). Beta-adrenergic hyperresponsivity to behavioral challenges: A possible hypertensive risk factor. In J.F. Orlebeke, G. Mulder, & L.J.P. van Doornen (Eds.), Psychophysiology of cardiovascular control: Methods, models, and data (pp. 667682 ). New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- 10.Steptoe, A. (1981). Psychological factors in cardiovascular disorders. London: Academic Press.Google Scholar