Computational Dosimetry of BNCT for Breast Cancer Treatment
In 1993 a research group was formed at the University of Virginia to study the prospect of performing neutron capture therapy (NCT) at the University. Computational tools are being used to simulate a therapy situation. This provides information regarding optimal beam characteristics, and allows the researcher to observe the effects of varying treatment parameters without performing the therapy. This work was an initial study of the plausibility of using NCT for treatment of breast cancer.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Treatment Neutron Beam Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Elliptical Cylinder Dose Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.J. Moran and H.N. Shapiro, “Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics,” John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1988, p. 551.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Matsumoto and O. Aizawa, Depth-dose evaluation and optimisation of the irradiation facility for boron neutron capture therapy of brain tumors. Phys. Med. Biol., 30:897–907, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.J.C. Yanch, X-L. Zhou, and G.L. Brownell, A monte carlo investigation of the dosimetric properties of monoenergetic neutron beams for neutron capture therapy. Radiat. Res., 126:3, 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Cember, “Introduction to Health Physics,” Pergamon Press, New York, 1985, p. 172.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Rosenstein, L.W. Andersen, and G. Warner, “Handbook of Glandular Tissue Doses in Mammography.” U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Publication FDA 85–8239, 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Christy and K.F. Eckerman, “Specific Absorbed Fractions of Energy at Various Ages from Internal Photon Sources,”ORNL/TM-8381/Ví, 1987.Google Scholar
- .I.F. Briesmeister, MCNP-A General Monte Carlo Code for Neutron and Photon Transport. LA 7396-M Rev. 2, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.R.G. Zamenhof, S.D. Clement, O.K. Harling, J.F. Brenner, D.E. Wazer, H. Madoc-Jones and J.C. Yanch, “Monte Carlo Based Dosimetry and Treatment Planning for Neutron Capture Therapy of Brain Tumors,” Neutron Beam Design, Development, and Performance for Neutron Capture Therapy, O.K. Harling, J.A. Bernard and R.G. Zamenhof, Eds., Plenum Press, New York, 1990.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.G.B. Saha, “Fundamentals of Nuclear Pharmacy,” Springer-Verlag, New York, 1992, p. 196.Google Scholar