The IEC Neutron Generator and Filter Concept for Neutron Capture Therapy
This paper describes a neutron generator based on the inertial-electrostatic confinement (IEC) of high energy deuterium ions, and the possible applications of such a generator to neutron capture therapy (NCT). An IEC generator has been under development at the University of Illinois for several years,1,2 and a recent paper has introduced the IEC neutron generator for NCT applications.3 This paper will present a neutron moderator configuration and some preliminary design calculations of resultant neutron energy spectra.
KeywordsGlow Discharge Neutron Output Cathode Voltage Neutron Energy Spectrum Neutron Moderator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.H. Nadler, G.H. Miley, Y.B. Gu, T. Hochberg, “Characterization of an Inertial-Electrostatic Confinement Glow Discharge (IECGD) Neutron Generator,” Fusion Technology, 21: 1639, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.J.H. Nadler, “Space Charge Dynamics and Neutron Generation in an Inertial-Electrostatic Confinement Device,” Ph.D. Thesis, Nuclear Engineering Department, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.G.H. Miley, J.B. Javedani, Y.B. Gu, A.J. Satsangi, P.F. Heck, I.D. Tzonev, M.J. Williams, R.A. Nebel, D.C. Barnes, L. Turnver, and J. Nadler, “The IEC: A Novel Source for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy,” Proceedings from the First International Workshop on Accelerator-baste(Neutron Sources for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, September 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.H.B. Liu, R.M. Brugger, “Upgrades of the Epithermal Neutron Beam at the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor (BMRR), Proceedings from the Sixth Symposium on Neutron Capture Therapy. Kobe, Japan, November 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.J.F. Briesmeiter, ed., “MCNP — A General Monte Carlo Code for Neutron and Photon Transport,” Los Alamos Lab Report: LANL-LA-7396 (Rev. 2), September 1986.Google Scholar