Upgrades of the Epithermal Neutron Beam at the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor
The first epithermal neutron beam at the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor (BMRR) was installed in 1988 and produced a neutron beam that was satisfactory for the development of NCT with epithermal neutrons. This beam was used routinely until 1992 when the beam was upgraded by rearranging fuel elements in the reactor core to achieve a 50% increase in usable flux. Next, after computer modeling studies, it was proposed that the Al and Al2O3 moderator material in the shutter that produced the epithermal neutrons could be rearranged to enhance the beam further. However, this modification was not started because a better option appeared, namely to use fission plates to move the source of fission neutrons closer to the moderator and the patient irradiation position to achieve more efficient moderation and production of epithermal neutrons. A fission plate converter (FPC) source has been designed recently and, to test the concept, implementation of this upgrade has started. The predicted beam parameters will be 12 × 109 nepi/cm2sec accompanying with doses from fast neutrons and gamma rays per epithermal neutron of 2.8 × 10−11 and < 1 × 10 cGycm2/n, respectively, and a current-to-flux ratio of epithermal neutrons of 0.78. This conversion could be completed by late 1996.
KeywordsGraphite Boron Oncol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. B. Godel, Description of facilities and mechanical components; Medical Research Reactor (MRR), Brookhaven National Laboratory report, BNL 600 (T-173), Feb. 1960.Google Scholar
- 2.D. N. Slatkin, “A history of boron neutron capture therapy of brain tumours: postulation of a brain radiation dose tolerance limit,” Brain 114:1609–1629, 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Wheeler, et al., “Epithermal neutron beam design for neutron capture therapy at the PBF and BMRR reactor facilities,” Nucl. Tech. 92:106–117, 1990.Google Scholar
- R. G. Fairchild, J. Kalef-Ezra, S. K. Saraf, S. Fiarman, E. Ramsey, L. Wielopolski, B. H. Laster, F. J. Wheeler, “Installation and testing of an optimized epithermal neutron beam at the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor (BMRR),”Neutron Beam Design, Development, and Performance for Neutron Capture Therapy, O. K. Harling et al.,eds, pp. 185–199, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.H. B. Liu, D. D. Joel, D. N. Slatkin, J. A. Coderre, “Improved apparatus for neutron capture therapy of rat brain tumors,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 28:1167–1173, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.H. B. Liu, R. M. Brugger, D. D. Greenberg, D. C. Rorer, J. P. Hu, H. M. Hauptman, “Enhancement of the epithermal neutron beam used for BNCT at the BMRR.” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 28:1149–1156, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Rief, R. Van Heusden, G. Perlini, “Generating epithermal neutron beams for BNCT at TRIGA reactors,”Advances in Neutron Capture Therapy, A.H. Soloway et al.,eds, pp. 85–88, Plenum Press, New York, 1993.Google Scholar