New boronated molecules that accumulate in tumor cells through various mechanisms have been introduced in recent years. The Finnish BNCT research group is studying boronated LDL as a potential 10B carrier1,2. Boron concentrations have been determined by charged particle bombardment and by different forms of inductively-coupled plasma analysis3,4,5. Also, the use of thermal neutrons in prompt-γ analysis of 10B has been described recently6,7. In this study four boron analysis methods have been tested: proton induced gamma emission analysis, inductively coupled atomic emission spectrometry and mass spectrometry, and secondary ion mass spectrometry.
KeywordsBoron Concentration External Proton Beam Charged Particle Bombardment Absolute Boron Concentration Boron Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.B. Bauer, Analyses of boron in biological samples, in: “INEL BNCT Research Program Annual Report 1992”, J.R. Venhuizen, ed., Idaho National Engineering Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho, 1993, pp. 78–117.Google Scholar
- 5.A.H. Soloway, R.F. Barth and D.E. Carpenter, eds., “Advances in Neutron Capture Therapy. Plenum Press, New York, 1993, pp. 403–443.Google Scholar
- 7.M.W. Konijnenberg, C.P.J. Raaijmakers, G. Constantine, L.G.H. Dewit, B.J. Mijnheer, R.L. Moss, and F. Stecher-Rasumussen, Prompt gamma-ray analysis to determine 10B concentrations, in: “Advances in Neutron Capture Therapy” A.H. Soloway et al. eds., Plenum Press, New York, 1993: 419–422.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.J. Räisänen, Elemental analysis with external beam methods. Nucl. Inst. Meth. Phys. Res. B40/41:638642, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Savolainen, J. Räisänen, V. Eteläniemi, U. Abo Ramadan, and M. Kallio, Analysis of Boron-10 by PIGE with Factor Analytical y-ray Peak Identification Appl. Radial. ‘sot. (in press). Google Scholar
- 11.J. Folch, M. Lees and G.H.S. Stanley. J. Biol. Chem., 226, 497–509, 1975.Google Scholar