Clinical Californium-252 Boron Neutron Capture Enhancement
Cf-252 has been shown to be effective as a radium substitute for cancer radiation therapy. Since it is a neutron emitter, it can be used for neutron therapy and has biological advantages for the treatment of bulky, advanced or radioresistant cancers. The greatest advantages have been shown for gynecological, head and neck and body surface or aero-digestive tumors where tumors of large size or known radioresistance are better treated by Cf neutrons than by photon therapy. The greatest potential for Cf-252 (Cf) neutrons may be because the emitted neutrons are of low energy and become thermalized in tumor/ tissue thus making boron neutron capture enhancement (BNCE) of Cf brachytherapy possible. We have carried out studies of BNCE including MCNP computer analysis, direct measurement, treatment planning and experimental animal studies. These studies all support the potential applicability of BNCE for human cancer therapy.
KeywordsThermal Neutron Fast Neutron Neutron Capture Linear Energy Transfer Boron Neutron Capture Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I. Maruyama, Y. Cf-252 neutron brachytherapy: An advance for bulky localized cancer therapy. Nucl. Sci. Appl. 1: 677–748, 1984.Google Scholar
- 3.Maruyama, Y, Beach, JL, Feola, JM. Californium-252 Brachytherapy and Fast Neutron Beam Therapy. Nucl. Sci. Appl. 2: 187–826, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Locher, GL Biological effects and therapeutic possibilities of neutrons. Am. J. Roent. Radium Ther. 36: 1–13, 1936.Google Scholar
- 5.Hatanaka, H. Boron Neutron Capture Therapy for Tumors. Nishimura, Niigata. 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Mishima, Y. Melanoma Neutron Capture Therapy. Alan R. Liss, NY. 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.Schroy, CB, Beach, JL, Goud, SN, Feola, JM, Maruyama, Y and Blue, JW. Potential for boron neutron capture enhancement of Cf-252 brachytherapy of localized tumors. Nucl. Sci. Appl. 2: 763–769, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Yanch, JC, Zamenhof, RG, Wierzbicki, JG and Maruyama, Y. Comparison of dose distributions with 10Boron augmented sources of 2252Cf obtained by Monte Carlo simulation and by experimental measurement. In, Progress in Neutron Capture Therapy for Cancer. Allen, BJ et al. (Eds). Plenum Press, NY. pp. 191–194, 1992.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Matalka, KZ, Barth, RF, Bailey, MQ, Maruyama, Y, Feola, JM and Wierzbicki, J. Californium-252 brachytherapy of intracerebral melanoma with and without administration of boronophenylalanine utilizing a nude rat model. In, Advances in Neutron Capture Therapy. Soloway, AH et al. Plenum, NY. pp. 529–533, 1993.CrossRefGoogle Scholar