Selective Detection of Brain Metastasis of Malignant Melanoma Using 18F-10B-L-Borono-Phenylalanine with Positron Emission Tomography
Selective neutron capture therapy (NCT) using specific dopa analog,10B-p-boronophenylalanine (10B-L-BPA) for malignant melanoma of the skin was developed and achieved many cures by Mishima and his group1,2. We had developed 18F-10B-L-Boronophenylalanine which can not only provide selective detection and three dimensional imaging, but also 10B concentration dynamics clinically using positron emission tomography (PET)3,4,5. The purpose of this study is to explore NCT of melanoma brain metastasis using this compound.
KeywordsPositron Emission Tomography Brain Metastasis Positron Emission Tomography Study Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Perifocal Edema
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Y. Mishima, C. Honda, M. Ichihashi, H. Obara, H. Hiratsuka, H. Fukuda, H. Karashima, T. Kobayashi, K. Kanda and Y. Yoshino. Treatment of malignant melanoma by single neutron capture therapy with melanoma-seeking 1°B-Compound. Lancet II: 388–389, 1989Google Scholar
- 3.K. Ishiwata, T. Ido, K. Kawamura, K. Kubota, M. Ichihashi and Y. Mishima. 4-Borono-2-[18F] fluoroD-L-phenylalanine as a target compound for neutron capture therapy: tumor imaging potential with positron emission tomography. Nucl Med Biol 18: 745–751, 1991Google Scholar
- 4.K. Ishiwata, M. Shiono, K. Kubota, K. Yoshino, J. Hatazawa, T. Ido, C. Honda, M. Ichihashi, and Y. Mishima. A unique in vivo assessment of 4-[1°B]borono-L-phenylalanine in tumor tissue for boron neutron capture therapy of malignant melanoma using positron emission tomography and 4-borono-2[18F]fluoro-L-phenylalanine. Melanoma Res 2: 171–179, 1992.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Y. Mishima, Y. Imahori, C. Honda, S. Ueda, and T. Ido. In vitro diagnosis of human malignant melanoma using specific melanoma-seeking 18F-compound with positron emission tomography. Kyoto Univ Res Reactor Inst Tech Rep 374: 1–10, 1993Google Scholar
- 8.B. Larsson. Radiobiological fundamentals in radiosurgery. In Radiosurgery: baseline and trends: ed. L. Steiner et al., Raven Press, New York 3–14, 1992Google Scholar