Positron Emission Tomography and Boron Neutron Capture Therapy System to the Patient with Malignant Brain Tumor
We have conjugated a positron tracer F-18 to [10B]boronophenylalanine (10B-BPA) to synthesize [18F]fluoroboronophenylalanine (18F-10B-DL-BPA or 18F-10B-L-BPA), and analyzed 1013-BPA metabolism on 27 cases of the various brain tumors by positron emission tomography (PET). These PET data revealed that 18F-10B-BPA using the DL-form was actively incorporated to the malignant tumor cells, showing high B-10 concentration and T/N ratio, which was suggested of the sufficient effectiveness of boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) on the malignant brain tumor. The experimental studies were undertaken with rat glioma model which showed that BNCT using 10B-L-BPA brought the good antitumor effect on rat glioma and no side effect on normal brain. Under this PET-BNCT system, the patient with malignant brain tumor was treated.
KeywordsPositron Emission Tomography Positron Emission Tomography Study Gamma Counter Malignant Brain Tumor Positron Emission Tomography Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Y.Nakagawa, S.Ogura, K.Kitamura, T.Kageji, T.Gyoten, H.Hatanaka, F.Tsuji, K.Mukai, K.Matsumoto. T.Kobayashi and K.Kanda, Boron neutron capture therapy-Clinical study-. KURRI, Prog.Rep., Osaka, 1992, 318–3 19.Google Scholar
- 3.Y.Oda, M.Takagaki and H.Kikuchi. Clinical experiences of BNCT on glioblasoma, KURRI Prog.Rep., Osaka, 1992, 308–309.Google Scholar
- 5.Y.Mishima, M.Ichihashi, C.Honda, M.Shiono, T,Nakagawa, H.Obara, J.Shirakawa, J.Hiratsuka, K.Kanda, T.Kobayashi, T.Nozaki, O.Aizawa, T.Sato, H.Karashima, K.Yoshino and H.Fukuda, Advances in the control of human cutaneous primary and metastatic melanoma by thermal neutron capture therapy, in:Progress in Neutron Capture Therapy for Cancer, B.J.Allen et al, ed., Plenum, New York, 1992, 577–583.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.K.Ishiwata, T.Ido, M.Kawamura, K.Kubota, M.Ichihashi and Y.Mishima, 4-borono-2-[’8F]fluoro-D-Lphenylalanine as a target compound for boron neutron capture therapy: tumor imaging potential with positron emission tomography. Nucl.Med.Bio1. 18: 745–751, 1991.Google Scholar
- 7.S.Ueda and Y.Imahori, PET-BNCT System for Malignant Brain Tumor, J.Therap.(Jpn). 74: 1314 1315, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.YImahori, S.Ueda, Y.Ohmori, E.Yoshino, K.Ono, T.Kobayashi, T.Ido and Y.Mishima, A basic concept for PET-BNCT system, in: Cancer Neutron Capture Therapy, Y.Mishima,ed. pp. 691–696, Plenum, New York, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.S.Ueda, YImahori, N.Ibayashi, Y.Ohmori, K.Ono, T.Kobayashi and K.Akuta. The basic studies for boron neutron capture therapy(BNCT) of brain tumor using boronophenylalanine. KURRI Prog. Rep.,Osaka, 1992, 304–305.Google Scholar
- 12.D.Gabel, Safety and efficacy in boron neutron capture therapy, in: Boron Neutron Capture Therapy, toward Clinical Trials of Glioma Treatment, D.Gabel and R.Moss ed., Plenum, New York, 1992.Google Scholar