Development of Polymeric Beta-Lactam Systems — Synthetic Study and Characterization
Over the past 40 years beta-lactam derivatives have been extensively used by the physicians as one of the best antimicrobial agents. Beta-lactam chemistry is well developed, however, reports on polymers containing beta-lactam system is very rare in literature. This paper will describe our study on synthesis of new polymeric systems containing a variety of substituted beta-lactam moieties. Penicillin based polymeric systems are also prepared and will be reported. The characterization of the new monomers, polymers and the result of the in vitro release study will be described.
KeywordsMethyl Glyoxalate Oxalyl Chloride Methyl Ester Hydrochloride Allyl Ester Anti Isomer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Fleming, Brit. J. Exp. Pathol., 10,226 (1929).Google Scholar
- 2.H.W. Florey, E. Chain, N. G. Heatley, M. A. Jennings, A. G. Sanders, E. P. Abraham and M. E. Florey, “Antibiotics, ”, Vol. 2, Oxford University Press, London, 1949.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Elks, Ed., “Recent Advances in the Chemistry of Beta-lactam Antibiotics, ”, The Chemical Society, London, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.F. E. Hahn, in: “Progress in Molecular and Subcellular Biology”, Vol. 8, F. E. Hahn, Ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1983, p. 1–21.Google Scholar
- 6.R. B. Morin and M. Gorman, Eds., “Chemistry and Biology of BetaLactam Antibiotics, ” Vol, 1 and 2, Academic Press, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.G. A. Koppel in: “Small Ring Heterocycles-Part, 2, ”, A. Hassner, Ed., John Wiley, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.J. E. Baldwin, Ed., Tetrahedron, 39, Symposia-in-Print #10, 1983.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Ghosh, J. K. Roy and B. G. Chatterjee, Ind. J. Chem., 24B, 144 (1985).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Ghosh and B. G. Chatterjee, J. Ind. Chem. Soc., LXII, 457 (1985).Google Scholar
- 14.Methyl glyoxalate was prepared by ozonolysis of dimethyl malate followed by reduction with dimethyl disulfide. The compound is purified by vacuum distillation and is kept under nitrogen in refrigerator.Google Scholar