Cell Adhesive Properties of Bioelastic Materials Containing Cell Attachment Sequences
The biocompatibility, conformational and inverse temperature transition properties of poly(Vall-Pro2-Gly3-Va14- Gly5), i.e., poly(VPGVG), and its 7-irradiation crosslinked matrix and the poly(VPGVG)-derived hydrophobicity scale are noted. Also noted are the capacities of varying the bioactive role of bioelastic materials; that is, the bioelastic materials can be designed (1) to exhibit a range of elastic moduli, (2) to exhibit different rates of degradation, (3) for various modes of drug release, (4) to perform numerous free energy transductions, (5) to contain functional enzyme sites, and (6) to contain functional cell attachment sequences that promote growth to confluence.
KeywordsHuman Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cell Tissue Culture Plastic Bovine Aortic Endothelial Cell Human Fibronectin Vitronectin Receptor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. W. Urry, T. M. Parker, A. Nicol, A. Pattanaik, D. S. Minehan, D. C. Gowda, C. Morrow and D. T. McPherson, Am. Chem. Soc., Div. Polym. Mater.: Sci. and Eng., 66, 399–402 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.D. W. Urry, in: “Molecular Conformation and Biological Interactions,” P. Balaram and S. Ramaseshan, Eds., Indian Acad. of Sci., Bangalore, India, 1991, pp. 555–583.Google Scholar
- 10.D. W. Urry, D. C. Gowda, C. Harris, R. D. Harris and B. A. Cox, Poly. Preprints Am. Chem. Soc. Polym. Chem. Div., 32, pp 84–85 (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.D. W. Urry, in: “Cosmetic and Pharmaceutical Applications of Polymers,” C. G. Gebelein, T. C. Cheng and V. C. Yang, Eds., Plenum Press, New York, 1991, 181–192.Google Scholar
- 12.H. M. Kagan, L. Tseng, P. C. Trackman, K. Okamoto, R. S. Rapaka andGoogle Scholar
- 14.A. Pattanaik, D. C. Gowda and D. W. Urry, Biochem. Biophys. res. Comm., 178, 539–545 (1991).Google Scholar
- 15.A. Nicol, D. C. Gowda and D. W. Urry, Biomed. Mater. Res., 26, 393413 (1992).Google Scholar
- 21.D. W. Urry and K. U. Prasad, in: “Biocompatibility of Tissue Analogues,” D. F. Williams, Ed., CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, Florida, 89–116 (1985).Google Scholar
- 27.A. P. Mould, A. Komoriya, K. M. Yamada and M. J. Humphries, J. Biol. Chem., 266, 3579 (1991).Google Scholar