Single Electron and Quantum Phenomena in Ultra Small Particles
Principles, responsible for the single-electron phenomena, are considered. Different ways of the junction formation are discussed, emphasising that, based on the utilization of nanometer size granules. Model, describing the single electron properties as well as the appearance of the differential negative resistance regions, is proposed. It is also discussed the technical approaches for the formation of ultrathin semiconductor layers and superlattices based on the aggregation of ultrasmall semiconductor particles.
KeywordsBias Voltage Single Electron Scan Tunnelling Microscope Image Differential Negative Resistance Coulomb Blockade
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Averim, D.A., and Likharev, K.K., 1986b, Coherent oscillation in small tunnel junctions, Soy. Phys. JEPT, 63: 427–432.Google Scholar
- Carrara, S., Erokhin, V., Facci, P., and Nicolini, C., 1996, On the role of nanoparticle sizes in monoelectron conductivity, in Nanoparticles in solids and solutions, J.Fendler, I.Décâni (Eds.), Kluwer Accademic Publisher, Netherlands, 497.Google Scholar
- Erokhin, V., Facci, P., Carrara S., and Nicolini, C., 1996, Monoelectron phenomena in nanometer scale particles formed in LB films, Thin Solid Films in press.Google Scholar
- Erokhin, V., Facci, P., Gobbi, L., Dante, S., Rustichelli, F., and Nicolini, C., 1997b, Superlattices formed from LB precursor studied by scanning electron microscopy, Thin Solid Films,in press.Google Scholar
- Facci, P., Erokhin, V., Carrara, S., and Nicolini, C., 1996, Room-temperature single-electron junction, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 93: 10556–10559.Google Scholar
- Gritsenko, O.V., and Lazarev, P.I., 1989, On the volt-ampere characteristic of molecular monoelectronic elements, in Molecular Electronics (F.T.Hong, Ed.), Plenum Press, New York, 277–288.Google Scholar
- Mullen, K., Ben- Jacob, E., Jaklevic, R.C., and Shuss, Z., 1988, 1-V characteristics of coupled ultrasmallcapacitance normal tunnel junctions, Phys. Rev. B37: 98–105.Google Scholar
- Stone, A. D., Jalabert, R.A., and Alhassid, Y., 1992, Statistical theory of Coulomb blockade and resonant tunneling oscillations in quantum dots, in Proceedings of the 14th Taniguchi Symposium, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 39–52.Google Scholar
- van Bentum P.J.M., Smokers R. T.M., and van Kempen H. I988b, Incremental charging of single small particles, Phys. Rev. Lett., 60, 2543.Google Scholar