The Architecture of Functional Neural Circuits in the Cat Retina
The cat retina has been a model retina for anatomical, physiological and pharmacological studies to elucidate its functional organization for at least a quarter of a century now. Over most of this time Hisako Ikeda has been at the forefront of research on ganglion cell function in this retina in both normal, abnormal and developmental conditions. Thus, it is fitting that in this paper which is to be amongst contributions from colleagues and friends of Hisako Ikeda I describe my research on the anatomical organization of the cat retina. This research fits very well with her physiological findings and represents our mutual interests in understanding how cat ganglion cell receptive fields are organized.
KeywordsGanglion Cell Bipolar Cell Amacrine Cell Horizontal Cell Inner Plexiform Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cajal, S. R. (1892) The Structure of the Retina. Translated by S.A. Thorpe and M. Glickstein (Springfield, II., Thomas), 1972.Google Scholar
- Dowling, J. E. (1987) The Retina: an approachable part of the brain. The Belknap Press, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Kolb, H. (1984) Cone pathways in the mammalian retina. In “Molecular and Cellular Basis of Visual Acuity” (Eds. Hilfer, S.R. and Sheffield, J.B.), Springer-Verlag, New York Inc., pp. 56–78.Google Scholar
- Kolb, H. and Famiglietti, E.V. (1976) Rod and cone pathways in the retina of the cat, Invest. Ophthal. 15:935–946.Google Scholar
- Kolb, H. and Nelson, R. (1985) Functional neurocircuitry of amacrine cells in the cat retina. In “Neurocuitry of the Retina: a Cajal Memorial” (Eds. Gallego, A. and Gouras, P.), Elsevier Press, New York, pp. 215–232.Google Scholar
- Kolb, H., Pflüg, R., DeKorver, L. and Nelson, R. (1993) Synaptic organization of hyperpolarizing amacrine cell A13, Invest. Ophthal. Vis. Science (Suppl.) 34: p 1153Google Scholar
- Marc, R. E. Liu, W-L. S. and Muller, J.F. (1988) Multiple GABA-mediated surround channels in goldfish retina, Suppl. Invest. Ophthal. Vis. Sci. 29: p. 272.Google Scholar
- Missotten, L. (1965) The ultrastructure of the human retina. Arscia Uitgaven N.V., Brussel.Google Scholar
- Naka, K.-I. (1976) Neuronal circuitry in the catfish retina, Invest. Ophthal. 15:926–935.Google Scholar
- Nelson, R., Famiglietti, E.V. and. Kolb, H. (1978) Intracellular staining reveals different levels of stratification for on-center and off-center ganglion cells in the cat retina, J. Neurophysiol. 41:427–483.Google Scholar
- Rodieck, R. W. (1973) The Vertebrate Retina: principles of structure and function. W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Toyoda, J.-I. (1972) Membrane resistance changes underlying the bipolar cell response in the carp retina, Vision Res. 12:283–294.Google Scholar