Pathway of PHIX174 Protein E Mediated Lysis of Escherichia coli
Genetic analysis of phage PhiX174 mutants (Hutchison and Sinsheimer 1966) identified a single lysis gene of the phage, E, and it was shown that its expression from a plasmid is sufficient to cause bacterial lysis (Henrich et al., 1982; Young and Young, 1982). A summary of specific features of protein E-mediated lysis is given in table 1. Gene E codes for a membrane protein of 91 amino acids (Barrell et al., 1976) detectable in the inner and outer membrane fractions of E. coli (Bläsi et al., 1983; Altman et al., 1985; Bläsi et al., 1989). It exerts its lytic effect by a process which is dependent on the proton-motive-force of the cells (Witte et al., 1987) and on cellular factors which are coupled with the growth phase of the cells as well as with the regulation of the cells autolytic system (Lubitz et al., 1984a, b). E-lysed cells show discrete holes in their cell envelopes which are preferentialy located in potential division zones of the cells (Witte et al., 1990a). Questions which remain to be answered are concerned with the molecular architecture of the E-specific lysis tunnel, its dependence on cellular proteins and on indirect effects of local membrane disturbance.
KeywordsLysis Gene Outer Membrane Fraction Mediate Lysis Tunnel Formation Bacteriophage PhiX174
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bläsi U, Geisen R, Lubitz W, Henrich B, Plapp R (1983) Localization of the bacteriophage PhiX174 lysis gene product in the cell envelope of Escherichia coli. In: Hakenbeck R, Holtje JV, Labischinski H (eds) Target of Penicillin, de Gruyter, Berlin, New York, pp 205–210.Google Scholar
- Halfmann G, Lubitz W (1986) Different induction of Escherichia coli autolysis by penicillin and the bacteriophage PhiX174 gene E product. J Bacteriol 66:683–685.Google Scholar
- Halfmann G (1989) Einfluβ zellulärer Mutationen auf die PhiX174 Protein E-induzierte Lyse von Escherichia coli. PhD-Thesis, University of Munich.Google Scholar
- Lubitz W, Pugsley AP (1985) Changes in cell phospholipid composition of PhiX174 gene E product. FEMS Microbiol Lett 30:171–175.Google Scholar
- Witte A (1990) Untersuchungen zur Wirkung von PhiX174 Protein E sowie davon abgeleiteter chimärer Proteine auf den Zellwandkomplex von Escherichia coli. PhD-Thesis, University of Munich.Google Scholar
- Witte A, Bläsi U, Halfmann G, Szostak M, Wanner G. Lubitz W (1990b) PhiX174 protein E-mediated lysis of Escherichia coli. Biochimie 72:191–200.Google Scholar
- Witte A, Narendja F, Säckl W, Eckerstorfer M, Szostak M, Bläsi U, Halfmann G, Lubitz W (1991) Multifunctional safety vector systems for DNA cloning, controlled expression of fusion genes, and simplified preparation of vector DNA and recombinant gene products. BTF5, Advances Mol Gen 3:219–239.Google Scholar