An Overview of the Assembly, Turnover and Recycling of the Murein Sacculus
Part of the Federation of European Microbiological Societies Symposium Series book series (FEMS, volume 65)
In presenting an overview of this subject, I will limit my remarks to the situation in E. coli. The discussion is divided into two parts.
KeywordsLateral Wall Cell Elongation Restrictive Temperature Peptidoglycan Synthesis Cell Septation
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- del Portillo, F. G. and de Pedro, M. A. (1990) Differential effect of mutational impairment of penicillin-binding proteins 1A and 1B on Escherichia coli strains harboring thermosensitive mutations in the celll division genes ftsA, JtsQ, ftsZ, and pbpB. J. Bacteriol. 172, 5863–5870.Google Scholar
- del Portillo, F. G., de Pedro, M. A., Joseleau-Petit, D. and D’Ari, R. (1989) Lytic response of Escherichia coli cells to inhibitors of penicillin-binding proteins la and lb as a timed event related to cell division. J. Bacteriol. 171,4217–4221.Google Scholar
- Park, J. T. (1988) Does Escherichia coli use a left-handed murein endopeptidase and transpeptidase to assemble its sacculus? in “Antibiotic inhibition of bacterial cell surface assembly and function” (Actor, P., Daneo-Moore, L., Higgins, M. L., Salton, M. R. J. and Shockman, G. D., Eds), pp.60-65. Soc. for Microbiol., Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Parquet, C, Fouret, B., Leduc, M., Hirota, Y. and van Heijenoort, J. (1983) N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase of Escherichia coli K12. Possible physiological functions. Eur. J. Biochem. 133, 371–377.Google Scholar
- Pisabarro, A. G., del Portillo, F. G., de la Rosa, E. J. and de Pedro, M.A. (1987) Initiation of murein biosynthesis in Escherichia coli cells treated with β-lactam antibiotics. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 42, 81–84.Google Scholar
- Tamura, T., Imae, Y. and Strominger, J. L. (1976) Purification to homogeniety and properties of two D-alanine carboxypeptidases from Escherichia coli J. Biol. Chem. 251, 414–423.Google Scholar
- Wientjes, F. B., Woldringh, C. L. and Nanninga, N. (1991) Amount of peptidoglycan in cell walls of gram-negative bacteria. J. Bacteriiol. 173, 7684–7691.Google Scholar
- Woldringh, C. L., Huis, P., Pas, E., Brakenhoff, G. J. and Nanninga, N. (1987) Topography of peptidoglycan synthesis during elongation and polar cap formation in a cell division mutant of Escherichia coli MC4100. J. Gen. Microbiol. 133, 575–586.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1993