In Vivo and In Vitro Selection of Equine Infectious Anemia Virus Variants
Lentiviruses are a subfamily of retroviruses associated with slow, chronic infections in animals and humans. Included in the lentivirus family are visna virus, caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus (CAEV), equine infectious anemia virus (EIAV), ovine progressive pneumonia virus (OPPV), and immunodeficiency viruses of human (HIV), simian (SIV), feline (FIV), and bovine (BIV) species. These viruses share several structural and biologic features, including a complex genome structure characterized by several small open reading frames in both the pollenv intragenic region and in the 3′ end of the viral RNA genome (Chin et al., 1985; Gonda et al., 1985; Rushlow et al., 1986). In addition, lentiviruses are tropic for cells of the macrophage/monocyte lineage, and viral replication in these cell types is thought to play an important role in some aspects of lentiviral pathogenesis (Gendelman et al., 1985, 1986; Gartner et al., 1986; Narayan et al., 1982, 1983).
KeywordsNeutralize Antibody Field Isolate Equine Infectious Anemia Virus Immune Selection Infected Horse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buetti, E., and Diggelman, H. (1980). J. Viro!. 33, 936–944.Google Scholar
- Coffin, J. M. (1986). Cell 46, I -4.Google Scholar
- Coggins, L., and Norcross, N. L. (1970). Cornell Vet. 60, 331–334.Google Scholar
- Folks, T., Kelly, J., Benn, S., Dinter, A., Justement, J., Gold, J., Redfield, R., Sell, K. W., and Fauci, A. S. (1986). J. lmmunol. 136, 4049–4053.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, K., and Kono, Y. (1967). Nat. Inst. Anim. Health Q. 7, 1–7.Google Scholar
- Kono, Y. (1969). Nat. Inst. Anim. Health Q. 9, 1–9.Google Scholar
- Kono, Y. (1972). In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Equine Infectious Diseases (J. T. Bryans, and H. Gerber, eds.), pp. 175–186, Karger, Basel.Google Scholar
- Kono, Y., and Kobayashi, K. (1970). Nat. Inst. Anim. Health Q. 10, 106–112.Google Scholar
- Lyerly, H. K., Pratz, J. E., Tyler, D. S., Matthews, T. J., Longlois, A. J., Bolognesi, D. P., and Weinhold, K. J. (1988). In Vaccines 88 (R. Chanock et al.,eds)., pp. 323–326, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.Google Scholar
- Mann, D. L., Murray, C., Goedert, J. J., Blattner, W. A. and Robert-Guroff, M. (1987). III International Conference on AIDS, June 1–5, Abstracts Volume, p. 206, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar