Mirage Formation in the Infrared Region and Its Effects on Thermal Imaging Applications
During one of our recent trials to evaluate the performance of an advanced target acquisition system comprising thermal imager, CCD camera and Laser range finder, mirage effect in 8–12 μm band has been prominently observed.These observations have been validated with some of the existing theories for mirage formation in terms of maximum and minimum ranges and the height of the target. Salient design features of thermal imager has been outlined. Apart from mirages, the effect of temperature on image quality and range performance of thermal imager has also been studied. A near Real Time Image Processing algorithm has been proposed to suppress mirages and improve the image quality.
KeywordsRefraction Geophysics Germanium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.William, H. Mach and Alistair, B. Fraser, 1979. Applied Optics, Vol. 18, No.11.Google Scholar
- 3.Lehn W.H, 1983, Jr. Opt. Soc. Am. Vol.73, No.12.Google Scholar
- 4.Sodha. M.S. et al . Brit J. APPL. Phys., 1967, Vol.18.Google Scholar
- 6.Singh, R.N, et al., 1994, Applied Optics, Vol.33.Google Scholar
- 7.Hand book of Geophysics (Macmillan, New York, 1960), Chap.13Google Scholar