Electron Dynamics in the Strong Field Limit of Photoionization
High precision photoelectron energy and angular distributions in helium and neon atoms for a broad intensity range reflect the change in the continuum dynamics that occurs as the ionization process evolves into the pure tunneling regime. Elastic rescattering of the laser-driven free electron from its parent ion core leaves a distinct signature on the spectra, providing a direct quantitative test of the various theories of strong field multiphoton ionization. We show that it takes a relatively complete semi-classical rescattering model to accurately reproduce the observed photoelectron distributions. However, the calculated inelastic rescattering rate fails to reproduce the measured nonsequential double ionization yields.
KeywordsAngular Distribution Wave Packet Laser Field Double Ionization Neon Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a recent review, see DiMauro L F and Agostini P 1995 Advances in Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics 95 Bederson B and Walther H, Eds. (San Diego: Academic Press )Google Scholar
- 4.Mohideen U, Sher M H, Tom H W K, Aumiller G D, Wood II 0 R, Freeman R R, Bokor J and Bucksbaum P H 1993 Phys. Rev. Lett. 71 509–512Google Scholar
- 5.Walker B, Sheehy B, DiMauro L F, Agostini P, Schafer K J and Kulander K C 1994 Phys. Rev. Lett. 73 1227–1230Google Scholar
- 6.Yang B, Schafer K J,Walker B, Kulander K C, Agostini P and DiMauro L F 1993 Phys. Rev. Lett. 71 3770–3773Google Scholar
- 8.Schafer K J Yang B, DiMauro L F and Kulander K C 1993 Phys. Rev. Lett. 70 1599–1602Google Scholar
- 10.Lewenstein M, Kulander K C, Schafer K J and Bucksbaum P H 1995 Phys. Rev. A51 1495–1507Google Scholar
- 11.Schiff L I 1968 Quantum Mechanics ( New York: McGraw Hill )Google Scholar
- 12.Ammosov M V, Delone N B and Krainov V P 1986 Soy. Phys. JETP 64 1191–1997Google Scholar
- Kulander K C, Cooper J and Schafer K J 1995 Phys. Rev. A51 561–568Google Scholar
- 18.Watson J B, Sanpera A, Lappas D G, Knight P L and Burnett K 1996 Proceedings of ICOMP VII (Bristol: IOP)Google Scholar