Development of 3-D Composites
Interlaminar shear strength is one of the most important properties of laminated composites, not only for fusion magnets, but for many other applications. Several processes that have been developed over the years to improve interlaminar shear strength include 3-D woven orthogonal fabrics, multiple warp weaving, stitch bonding of multi-layers of 2-D fabrics, and needle punching of non-woven and woven fabrics.
KeywordsFlexural Strength Interlaminar Shear Strength Fusion Magnet Cryogenic Engineer Compression Fatigue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Iwasaki, S. Nishiima, J. Yasuda, T. Hirokawa, and T. Okada, Development of 3DGFRP for cryogenic use, in: “Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 36, ” R.P. Reed ann F.R. Fickett, Eds., Plenum Press, NY (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Becker and T.T. Cookson, “Effect of Normal Pressure on Interlaminar Shear Strength” NBS-DOE Workshop, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.R. E. Schmunk, H. Becker, “Irradiation and Testing of Spaulradk S for Fusion Magnet Applications” Fusion Energy, p. 282.Google Scholar
- 8.T. J. McManamy, J. E. Brasier and P. Snook, Insulation interlaminar shear strength testing with compression and irradiation, in: “Proc. IEEE 13th Symposium on Fusion Engineering Vol. 1,” IEEE, New York (1990), pp. 342–347.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Blake, Stress Analysis of the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory 1/2 x 1/2 in. Shear/Compression Test Fixture, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report ORNL/ATD-23, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Nishiima et al., “Development of radiation resistant composite materials for fusion magnets,” presented at ICMC Conference, Los Angeles, July 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Jacox, Neutron and Gamma Dose Calculation for CIT Materials in the ATR 11 Position, Idaho National Engineering Laboratory Report NRRT-N-90–003, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.J. Rodgers and R. Anderi, Neutron Monitoring Measurements for the CIT Materials Irradiation in the ATR 11 Position, EGG Report EGG-cS-8821, 1989.Google Scholar
- 14.T. J. McManamy, G. Kanemoto, P. Snook, “The Insulation Irradiation Test Program for the Compact Ignition Tokamak” ICMC Low Temp., V, Heidelburg, May 1990.Google Scholar