Some Problems of Trial Design for Anti-Angiogenic Agents in Cancer Therapy
The propensity of tumours to generate resistant clones is a major barrier to cytotoxic and hormone therapy. The vasculature of malignancies is a more appealing target, since tumour endothelial cells are not known to be tranformed or subject to somatic mutation or random phenotypic variation. Thus an effective anti-angiogenic therapy need not be vitiated by the acquisition of resistance. Although several antiangiogenic agents have been described and used in experimental models, there remain severe problems about optimising their use and about setting up informative clinical trials. These difficulties arise predominantly because of the “invisible” nature of tumour angiogenesis.
KeywordsVascular Endothelial Growth Factor Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cell Vascular Endothelial Cell Growth Factor TITANOCENE Dichloride SPARC Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harris-Hooker, S.A. et. al., 1983, Neovascular responses induced by cultured aortic endothelial cells, J. Cell. Physiol. 114: 302–310.Google Scholar
- Maragoudakis, M.E. et. al., 1988b, Inhibition of basement membrane biosynthesis prevents angiogenesis, J. Pharm. Exp. Ther. 244: 729–733.Google Scholar
- Maragoudakis, M.E. et. al., 1992, Evaluation of promotors and inhibitors of angiogenesis using basement membrane biosynthesis as an index. Nato ASI 227:275–286. Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- Tsopanoglou, N.E. et. al., 1993, Thrombin promotes angiogensis by a method independent of fibrin formation, Am. J. Physiol. (in press).Google Scholar
- Tsopanoglou, N.E., et. al., 1993, Protein Kinase C involvement in the regulation of angiogenesis, J. Vase. Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- 1.Shweiki, D., Itin, A., Gitay-Goren, H., Neufeld, G. and E. Keshet, J. Clin. Invest. (in press) (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.Bacharach, E., Itin, A., and Keshet, E., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 89: 1068610690 (1992).Google Scholar
- Folkman, J., et al., 1979, Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci., USA 76:5217. Gross, T.L., et al., 1983, Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.,USA 80:2623. Heuser, L.S. et al., 1984, J.Surg.Res. 36: 244.Google Scholar
- Köpf-Maier, P., et al., 1986, Drugs of the Future 11:297.Google Scholar
- Maragoudakis, M.E., et al., 1990, J.Pharmacol. Exp.Ther. 252:753. Maragoudakis, M.E., et al., 1989, J.Pharamacol.Exp.Ther. 251:679. Missirlis, E., et al., 1990, Invest.New Drugs 8: 145.Google Scholar