Expression of the M-Subunit of Laminin Correlates with Increased Cell Adhesion and Metastatic Propensity
The presence of several isoforms of laminin in a variety of tissues and species has been reported. S-laminin, a B1 chain homologue of 190 kDa, has been identified in association with the synaptic cleft of the neuromuscular junction (Hunter, et al., 1989), while O’Rear (1992) has reported a novel laminin B1 chain variant (B1-2) in the avian eye, and Marinkovich et al. (1992) reported another variant, K-laminin in human amniotic fluid.
KeywordsHuman Placenta Human Amniotic Fluid Slot Blot Hybridization Metastatic Propensity Placental Basement Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, P. D., Levy, A. T., Margulies, I. M. K., Liotta, L. A., and Stetler-Stevenson, W. G. (1990b) Independent expression and cellular processing of Mr 72,000 type IV collagenase and interstitial collagenase in human tumorigenic cell lines. Cancer Res. 50, 6284–6191.Google Scholar
- Dyson, N. J. (1990) Immobilization of nucleic acids and hybridization analysis, In: Essential Molecular Biology, A Practical approach, Vol. 2 ( Brown, T. A., Ed.) pp 111–156, IRL Press at Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Garbisa, S., Pozzatti, R., Muschel, R. J., Saffiotti, U., Ballin, M., Goldfarb, R. H., Khoury, G., and Liotta, L. A. (1987) Secretion of type IV collagenolytic protease and metastatic phenotype: Induction by transfection with c-Ha-ras but not c-Ha-ras plus Ad 2-Ela. Cancer Res. 47, 1523–1528.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jenq, W., Wu, S. J., and Kefalides, N. A. (1993) Adhesion promoting property of laminin from normal (tissue and from a tumorigenic cell line. Connect. Tissue. Res. In press.Google Scholar
- Thorgeirsson, U. P., Turpeenniemi-Hujanen, T., William, J. E., Westin, E. H., Heilman, C. A., Talmadge, J. E., and Liotta, L. A. (1985) NIH/3T3 cells transfected with human tumor DNA containing activated ras oncogenes express the metastatic phenotype in nude mice. Mol. Cell Biol. 5, 259–262.PubMedGoogle Scholar