P-ANCA of Undefined Specificity in Ulcerative Colitis: Correlation to Disease Activity and Therapy
Sera of 108 patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and 13 sera from patients with other gastrointestinal diseases were screened for antibodies against neutrophil cytoplasmic antigens (ANCA) by an indirect immunofluorescence test. 37 out of 64 sera (58%) from patients with ulcerative colitis (UC) produced a fine granular and perinuclear ANCA staining pattern (“snowdrift-like” p-ANCA) clearly different from the cytoplasmic ANCA fluorescence (c-ANCA) seen in active Wegener’s granulomatosis (WG) and the typical p-ANCA pattern produced by antimyeloperoxidase (MPO) autoantibodies. Only 1 of 44 sera from patients with Crohn’s disease (CD) and none of the control sera showed positive “snowdrift-like” p- ANCA reactions. 31 out of the 37 p-ANCA positive sera (84%) were obtained from patients with high disease activity with and without longterm high dose steroids. p-ANCA titers became negative after longterm steroid therapy and following complete colectomy.
KeywordsUlcerative Colitis Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis Ulcerative Colitis Patient High Disease Activity Active Ulcerative Colitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Saxon, A., Shanahan, F., Landers, C., Ganz, T., Targan, S., 1990, A distinct subset of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies is associated with inflammatory bowel disease. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 86: 202–204.Google Scholar
- 3.Rump, J.A., Roth, M., Schölmerich, J., Helfesrieder, R., Lüdemann, J., Gross, W.L., Rautmann, A., Peter, H.H., 1992, Ein neues ANCA-Muster in Seren von Patienten mit Colitis ulcerosa: Einfluß von Therapie und Krankheitsaktivität auf die Höhe der Serumtiter. Immun. Infekt. 20: 16–18.Google Scholar
- 4.Rachmilewitz, D., 1989, Coated mesalazine (5-amino-salicylic acid) versus sulphasalazine in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis: a randomised trial. Br. Med. J. 298: 82–85.Google Scholar
- 5.Best, W.R., Becktel, J.M., Singleton, J.W., Kern, F., 1976, Development of a Crohn’s disease activity index. National cooperative Crohn’s disease study. Gastroenterology 70: 439–443.Google Scholar
- 7.Reumaux, D., Colombel, J.F., Delecourt L., Noel L.H., Cortot, A., Duthilleul, P., 1992, Anti neutrophil cytoplasmic auto-antibodies (ANCA) in patients with ulcerative colitis (UC): Influence of disease activity and familial study. (Abstr. D7) The 4th International Workshop on ANCA, Lübeck, FRG, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.Reumaux, D., Colombel, J.F., Duclos, B., Chaussade, S., Belaiche, J., Jacquot, S., Dupas, J.L., Molls, C., Duthilleul, P., 1992, Antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies (ANCA) in sera from patients with ulcerative colitis (UC) after proctocolectomy with ileoanal anastomosis (IAA). (Abstr. D6) The 4th International Workshop on ANCA, Lübeck, FRG, 1992.Google Scholar