Cyclosporin a Therapy for Wegener’s Granulomatosis
Five patients with active Wegener’s granulomatosis were treated with the immunosuppressive agent Cyclosporin A, along with low dose prednisone. All five patients had previously taken cyclophosphamide, but further treatment with this agent was not desired, either due to patient choice, drug toxicity or malignancy. In initial doses of up to 5mg/kg/day, CyA showed efficacy but when lowered to 1–2mg/kg/day, mild disease flares occurred. CyA may provide an alternative to traditional therapy in selected patients with WG.
KeywordsHemorrhagic Cystitis Traditional Therapy Ocular Inflammatory Disease Pulse Intravenous Cyclophosphamide Clinicopathologic Syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hoffman, G.S, Kerr, G.S, Leavitt, R.Y, Hallohan, C.W. Lebovics, R.S., Travis, W.D., Rottem, M, and Fauci, A.S., 1992, Wegener granulomatosis: An analysis of 158 patients, Annals Int. Med. 116: 488–498.Google Scholar
- 2.Leavitt, R.Y., Fauci, A.S., Bloch, D.A., Beat, A. M., Hunder, G.G., Arend, W.P., Calabrese, L.H., Fries, J.F., Lie, J.T., Lightfoot Jr., R.W., Masi, A.T., McShane, D.J., Mills, J.A., Stevens, M.B., Wallace, S.L. and Zvaifler, N.J., 1990, The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of Wegener’s granulomatosis, Arthritis Rheum. 33: 1101–1107.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Fauci, A.S., Haynes, B.F. Katz, P., and Wolff, S., 1983, Wegener’s granulomatosis: prospective clinical and therapeutic experience with 85 patients from 21 years, Annals Int. Med. 98: 76–85.Google Scholar
- 4.deGroen, P.C., 1989, Cyclosporin: a review and its specific use in liver transplantation, Mayo Clin. Proc. 64: 680–689.Google Scholar
- 5.Borleffs, J.C.C., Derksen, R.H.W.M. and Hené, R.J., 1987, Treatment of Wegener’s granulomatosis with cyclosporin, Annals Rheum. Dis. 46: 175.Google Scholar
- 6.Harley, N., and Ihle, B., 1990, Wegener’s granulomatosis - use of cyclosporin A: a case report, Aust. N.Z. J. Med. 20: 71–73.Google Scholar
- 7.Gremmel, F., Druml, W., Schmidt, P. and Graninger, W., 1988, Cyclosporin in Wegener granulomatosis, Annals Int. Med. 198: 491.Google Scholar