In Vitro Interactions of C-ANCA (Antibodies to Proteinase 3) with Human Endothelial Cells
Several concepts concerning the pathogenicity of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) exist, but till now only sparse data about ANCA-endothelial interactions are available. In this study we have investigated the expression of proteinase 3 (PR-3) in human umbilical endothelial cells (HEC) using purified anti-PR3 antibodies (C-ANCA) of patients with Wegener’s granulomatosis (WG) and monoclonal antibodies to PR-3 (human and murine) as probes. Performing cytoELISAs, laser scanning microscopy and Western blot we were able to show that treatment of HEC with IL-1-alpha led to an increased PR-3 expression in the cytoplasm and to a transient translocation into the EC-membrane. Representing an important missing link of ANCA-endothelial interactions, our data give a hint at a possible direct pathogenicity of anti-PR-3 antibodies in WG and other vasculitides.
KeywordsHuman Endothelial Cell Systemic Vasculitis Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody Human Umbilical Cord Endothelial Cell Original Magnification 630x
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mayet, W.J., Hermann, E., Csernok, E., Knuth, A., Poralla, T., Gross, W.L. and Meyer zum Büschenfelde K.H., 1991a, A human renal cancer line as a new antigen source for the detection of antibodies to cytoplasmic and nuclear antigens in sera of patients with Wegener’s granulomatosis, J. Immunol. Meth., 143: 57–68.Google Scholar
- 2.Garvey, J.S., Cremer, N.C. and Sussdorf, D.H., 1977, Methods in Immunology, Benjamin, Reading, M.A.Google Scholar
- 6.Mayet, W.J., Hermann, E., Kiefer, B., Lehmann, H., Manns, M. and Meyer zum Büschenfelde, K.H., 199 lb, In vitro production of anti-neutrophilocyte cytoplasm-antibodies (ANCA) by Epstein-Barr virus-transformed B-cell lines in Wegener’s granulomatosis, Autoimmunity, 11:13–19.Google Scholar
- 7.Csernok, E., Lüdemann, J. and Gross W.L., 1990, Ultrastructural localization of proteinase 3, the target antigen of anti-cytoplasmatic antibodies circulating in Wegener’s granulomatosis, Am. J. Pathol., 137: 5Google Scholar
- 8.Frampton, G., Jayne, D.R.W., Perry G.J., Lockwood C.M. and Cameron J.S., 1990, Autoantibodies to endothelial cells and neutrophil cytoplasmic antigens in systemic vasculitis, Clin. Exp. Immunol, 82: 227–232.Google Scholar
- 9.van der Woude, F.J., Daha, M.R. and Van Es, L.A., 1989, The current status of neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies, Clin. Exp. Immunol., 78: 143–148.Google Scholar