Advances in Dense Gas Dispersion Modeling of Accidental Releases over Rough Surfaces during Stable Conditions
A major, cooperative research project will be completed in 1997 from which an improved understanding will be gained about the dispersion of accidental, dense gas releases at industrial sites (i. e., high surface roughness) during low-wind stable meteorological conditions. The plans for this project were presented by Hanna and Steinberg (1995). Most previous research was limited to releases over smooth surfaces in nearly-neutral conditions (Hanna et al., 1993).
KeywordsWind Tunnel Richardson Number Roughness Element Stable Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Egami, R, Bowen, J., Coulombe, W., Freeman, D., Watson, J., Sheesley, D., King, B., Nordin, J., Routh, T., Briggs, G., and Petersen, W., 1995, Controlled experiments for dense gas diffusion: experimental design and execution, model comparison. International Conference and Workshop on Modeling and Mitigating the Consequences of Accidental Releases of Hazardous Materials, AIChE, New York, 509-538.Google Scholar
- Hanna, S.R., Chang, J.C., and Strimaitis, D.G., 1993, Hazardous gas model evaluation with field observations. Atmos. Environ., 27A:2265–2281.Google Scholar
- Hanna, S.R. and K.W. Steinberg, 1995, Studies of dense gas dispersion from short-duration transient releases over rough surfaces during stable conditions, Air Pollution Modeling and Its Application XI, Plenum Press, New York and London, 481–490.Google Scholar
- Havens, J., Walker, H., and Spicer, T., 1996, Data report: wind-tunnel study of air entrainment into two-dimensional dense gas plumes. CHRC, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR.Google Scholar
- Petersen, R.L., and Cochran, B.C., 1995a, Wind tunnel determination of equivalent refinery roughness patterns, CPP project 94-1152, Tasks 1-5, Ft. Collins, CO.Google Scholar
- Petersen, R.L., and Cochran, B.C., 1995b, Wind tunnel testing of the 1995 Nevada test site field experiments, CPP project 94-1152E, Task 6, Ft. Collins, CO.Google Scholar
- Snyder, W.H., 1995, Data report, wind-tunnel roughness array tests, EPA, Research Triangle Park, NC.Google Scholar
- Snyder, W.H., 1996, Data report: wind-tunnel study of entrainment in two-dimensional dense-gas plumes, EPA, Research Triangle Park, NC.Google Scholar