Avacta II Model Simulations of Worst-Case Air Pollution Scenarios in Northern Italy
This paper presents a new, improved version of the AVACTA II air pollution computer package, its numerical and analytical features, and its simulation capabilities and limitations. This is followed by the presentation of a few AVACTA II simulations of worst-case air pollution scenarios in northern Italy, a region characterized in wintertime by foggy, stagnant conditions often leading to air pollution episodes in the Po Valley (Val Padana).
KeywordsElectric Power Research Institute Simulation Capability Plume Rise Close Segment Plain Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anfossi, D., et al., 1980, Ricerche ambiental: nella bassa valle del Ticino — Stato di Avanzamento (Giugno, 1979), Ente Nazionale per l’Energia Elettrica, July.Google Scholar
- Lewellen, W.S., Sykes, R.I., Vanna, A.R., and Parker, S.F., 1983, Second-order closure model exercise for the Rincaid power plant plume, EPRI report EA-3079 prepared by Aeronautical Research Associates of Princeton, Inc., Princeton, NJ, for Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA.Google Scholar
- Liu, M.R., and Moore, G.E., 1984, Diagnostic validation of plume models at a Plains site, EPRI Final Report, EA-3077, January.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, S.D., Morris, R.E., Myers, T.C., and Liu, M.R., 1984a, Evaluation of three first-order closure models — plains site, EPRI report EA-3078 prepared by Systems Applications, Inc., San Rafael, CA, for Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, S.D., Seigneur, C., Stoeckenius, T.E., Moore, G.E., Johnson, R.G., and Londergan, R.J., 1984b, Operational validation of Gaussian plume models at a plains site, EPRI report EA-3076 prepared by Systems Applications, Inc., San Rafael, CA, for Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA.Google Scholar
- Ruff, R.E., Nitz, R.C., Ludwig, F.L., Bhumralkar, CM., Shannon, J.D., Sheih, CM., Lee, I.Y., Rumar, R., and McNaughton, D.J., 1984, Regional air quality model assessment and evaluation, EPRI report EA-3671 prepared by SRI International, Menlo Park, CA, for Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA.Google Scholar
- Yamartino, R.J., 1977, A new method of computing pollutant concentration in the presence of limited vertical mixing, Journal of the APCA, 25(5):467.Google Scholar
- Zannetti, P., Carboni, G., and Lewis R., 1985, AVACTA II: User’s Guide — Release 3, AeroVironment Inc., Technical Report 85/520.Google Scholar
- Zannetti, P., (in press), A new mixed segment-puff approach for dispersion modeling, submitted to Atmos. Environ, for publication.Google Scholar