Biomechanics of Flexor Pulley Reconstruction
Many surgical techniques have been described for pulley reconstruction to restore hand function.2,3,7,8 Biomechanically, a successfully reconstructed pulley should maintain adequate strength and similar compliance as those of the normal intact ligaments. In addition, it should provide the proper constraint of tendon to restore the functions of the digits. In this study, the efficacy of different types of pulley reconstruction on hand function were compared based on the joint motion and tendon excursion measurements. The mechanical properties of reconstructed pulleys were also tested to determine the strength and stiffness.
KeywordsJoint Motion Flexor Tendon Proximal Phalanx Pulley System Middle Phalange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Karev, S. Stahl, and A. Taran, The mechanical efficiency of the pulley system in normal digits compared with a reconstructed system using the “belt loop” technique, J. Hand Surg., 12A(4):596 (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.H.E. Kleinert, and J.B. Bennett, Digital pulley reconstruction employing the always present rim of the previous pulley, J. Hand Surg. 3:297 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.G.T. Lin, P.C. Amadio, K.N. An, W.P. Cooney, and E.Y.S. Chao, Biomechanical analysis of finger flexor pulley reconstruction, J. Hand Surg. 14B:278 (1989b).Google Scholar
- 6.G.T. Lin, W.P.C. Cooney, P.C. Amadio, and K.N. An, Mechanical properties of human pulleys, J. Hand Surg. 15B:429 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Okutsu, S. Ninomiya, S. Hiraki, H. Inanami, and N. Kuroshima, Three-loop technique for A2 pulley reconstruction, J. Hand Surg. 12A:5(1):790 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.L.H. Schneider, and J.M. Hunter, Flexor tendons — late reconstruction, in: “Operative Hand Surgery (2nd Edition),” D. P. Green, ed., Churchill Livingstone, New York, 3:2020 (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.C.E. Verdan, Syndrome of the quadriga, Surg. Clin. of N. Am. 40:425 (1960).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Weilby, Personal Communication, (Reference in paper of Kleinert and Bennett, 1978) (1973).Google Scholar