Surgical Treatment with External Fixator for Posttraumatic Carpal Instability
In case of posttraumatic carpal instability, especially a chronic case with malunion or nonunion after a fracture in the wrist region, we have reconstructed the bony structure at the originally injured site with a bone graft, repaired the ligaments and maintained it under the effect of ligamentotaxis by the external fixator “Orthofix Pennig Model” (Figure 1). The purpose of this paper is to describe our surgical procedure and clinical experience, and also clarify the effectiveness and problems of this procedure. We also present a cadaver study to demonstrate the effect of this procedure from a biomechanical point of view.
KeywordsGrip Strength Distal Radius Carpal Bone Wrist Pain Ulnar Variance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Böhler, Translated from the 13th German ed. by H. Tretter, H.B. Luchini, K. Kreuz, O.A. Russe, R.G.B. Bjornson, The treatment of fractures, Grune & Stratton, New York (1956).Google Scholar
- 2.W.P. Cooney, J.H. Dobyns, and R.L. Linscheid, Non-union of the scaphoid; analysis of the results from bone grafting, J. Hand Surg. 5:343 (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.D.L. Fernandez, A technique for anterior wedge-shaped grafts for scaphoid nonunions with carpal instability, J. Hand Surg. 9-A:733 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.D.L. Fernandez, and R. Ghillani, External fixation of complex carpal dislocation: a clinical report, J. Hand Surg. 12-A:335 (1987).Google Scholar
- 7.G.R. Fisk, Volar wedge grafting of the carpal scaphoid in non-union associated with dorsal instability patterns (discussion), J. Bone Joint Surg. 64-B:632 (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.K.S. Leung, W.Y. Shen, P.C. Leung, A.W. Kinninmonth, J.C. Chang, and G.P. Chan, Ligamentotaxis and bone grafting for comminuted fractures of the distal radius, J. Bone Joint Surg. 71-B:838 (1989).Google Scholar
- 10.R.L. Linscheid, J.H. Dobyns, J.W. Beabout, and R.S. Bryan, Traumatic instability of the wrist; diagnosis, classification and pathomechanics, J. Bone Joint Surg. 54-A: 1612 (1972).Google Scholar
- 11.K. Shimada, K. Tada, T. Yoshida, and T. Shibata, Treatment for ulnar wrist disorders (in Japanese), J. Jpn Soc. Surg. Hand 7:626 (1990).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Vidal, Ch. Buscayret, M. Paran, and J. Melka, Ligamentotaxis, in: D.C. Mears ed. External skeletal fixation, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore (1983).Google Scholar