Detection and Quantification of Correlations in Neural Populations by Coherence Analysis
The behavior of the unit-to-aggregate and the aggregate-to-aggregate coherence function as tools for detection and quantification of synchrony in neural populations showing partial correlations is examined by mathematical analysis and computer simulations. The results indicate that the former function provides a suitable tool for both purposes, whereas the latter function is best suited for detection of population synchrony.
KeywordsMotor Unit Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Spike Train Coherence Function Neural Population
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christakos, C. N.,1990, Modeling aggregate rhythms in neural populations: The stochastic approach, Trends Biol. Cybern. 1: 271–280.Google Scholar
- Christakos, C. N., 1994b, Quantification of synchrony in neural populations by coherence analysis, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr: 20: 1202.Google Scholar
- Christakos, C. N., Cohen, M. L, Barnhardt, R. and Shaw. C.-F.. 1991, Fast rhythms in the discharges of phrenic motoneurons and nerves, J. Neurophvsiol. 66: 674–687.Google Scholar
- Christakos, C. N.. Cohen. M. I., Sica, A. L., Huang, W.-X., See, W. R. and Barnhardt. R.. 1994, Analysis of recurrent laryngeal inspiratory discharges in relation to fast rhythms, J. Netu•ophysiol. 72: 1304–1316.Google Scholar
- Cohen, M. I., 1973, Synchronization of discharge, spontaneous and evoked. between inspiratory neurons, Acta Neurobiol. Exp. 33: 189–218.Google Scholar
- Cohen, M. 1.. Christakos, C. N., Barnhardt, R.. Huang. W.-X. and See. W. R.. 1992, State-dependent synchronized fast rhythms in neural networks (inspiratory and sympathetic). Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 18: 317.Google Scholar
- Lopes da Silva, F. H., Hoeks, A., Smits, H. and Zetterberg, L. H., 1974, Model of brain rhythmic activity. The alpha rhythm of the thalamus, Kybernetik 15:27–37.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, R. A. and Herbert, D. A., 1974, Synchronized high frequency synaptic potentials in medullary respiratory neurons, Brain Res. 75:350–355.Google Scholar
- Papoulis, A., 1965, Probability Random Variables and Stochastic Processes,McGraw-Hill_ New York.Google Scholar
- Rosenberg, J. R., Amjad, A. M.. Breeze, P.. Brillinger, D. R. and Halliday. D. M.. 1989. The Fourier approach to the identification of functional coupling between neuronal spike trains, Pro,y. Biophys. Molec. Biol. 53: 1–31.Google Scholar