The Broad RAnge Hadron Magnetic Spectrometers, BRAHMS, will measure inclusive and semi-inclusive π ±, K±, and p± spectra for 0≤η≤4 for all beams and energies available at RHIC . Many interesting suggestions have been made on the possible signatures of the quark-gluon plasma (QGP) in relativistic heavy ion collisions. The yields and p t spectra of the scattered baryons and produced baryons and mesons are expected to provide information on the underlying dynamics which govern the heavy ion collisions. BRAHMS will make extensive measurements of the charged hadron yields and p t spectra over a large range of p t and rapidity. The left panel of Figure 1 displays the y-p t coverage of the four approved baseline experiments, Phenix, STAR , PHOBOS , and BRAHMS. Figure 1 shows clearly the unique capability of BRAHMS to investigate hadron production over an extensive range of rapidity and p t . The right panel of Figure 1 shows the predictions of RQMD 1.07 , VENUS 4.02 , and FRITIOF 1.7  for the rapidity distributions of net baryons (top) and mesons (bottom) for central √s=200 GeV Au+Au collisions. BRAHMS. will measure protons of rapidity y≤3.5 which allows a substantial portion of the rapidity distribution of the scattered projectile protons to be measured. In addition, BRAHMS is the only experiment to measure hadron m t spectra beyond the “central plateau”, which can provide important information on physics issues such as transverse expansion, longitudinal expansion, leading particles, and proton stopping.
KeywordsRapidity Distribution Brookhaven National Laboratory Particle Identification Pion Pair Prototype Detector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Ashktorab et al.,BRAHMS Conceptual Design Report, Brookhaven National Laboratory (1994).Google Scholar
- 2.The PHENIX Conceptual Design Report, The Phenix Collaboration, BNL-48922 (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.Conceptual Design Report for the Solenoidal Tracker at RHIC, The STAR collaboration, PUB-5347 (1992).Google Scholar
- D. Barton et al.,PHOBOS Conceptual Design Report, Brookhaven national Laboratory (1993).Google Scholar
- 5.Th. Schönfeld ei al., Mod. Phys. Lett A8 (1993) 2631;Google Scholar
- Th. Schönfeld et al.,Nucl. Phys. A544 (1992) 439c;Google Scholar
- H. Sorge, private communication (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Werner, Z. Physics C42 (1989) 85.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Moskowitz, contribution to this volume.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Debbe, S. Gushue, B. Moskowitz, J. Olness, and F. Videbaek, Proceedings of the International Workshop on RHIC Detectors, Uppsala Sweden June 12–16 1996, Nucl. Inst. and Meth. (in press).Google Scholar