Dielectron Production in Nucleus+Nucleus Collisions at 1.05 GeV/nucleon
Measurements of dielectron production in heavy-ion collisions are valuable probes into the dynamics of the collision process. While the hadronic participants of the collision are subject to strong final state interactions, the coupling of the electron-positron pair to the collision medium is electromagnetic. Dielectrons, therefore, suffer little rescattering leaving the interaction and can retain information about their production origins, probing even the early stages in the evolution of the collision. The DiLepton Spectrometer (DLS) collaboration’s original measurements of dielectron production established the existence of the signal at Bevalac energies1,2,3. The 1992–93 DLS measurements in nucleus+nucleus collisions at a kinetic beam energy of 1.05 GeV/nucleon are the subject of this presentation.
KeywordsNucleus Collision Nucleon Scattering Pair Mass Dalitz Decay Nucleus System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Roche et al.,First observations of dielectron production in proton-nucleus collisions below 10 GeV, Phys Rev Lett 61:1069 (1988). C. Naudet et al.,Threshold behavior of electron pair production in p+Be collisions, Phys Rev Lett 62:2652 (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.K.K. Gudima et al.,Hadron sources of dileptons in nuclear collisions at relativistic and intermediate energies, Soy Jou of Nucl Phys 55:1715 (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Huang et al.,Dielectron yields in p+d and p+p collisions at 4.9 GeV, Phys Lett B297:233 (1992). W.K. Wilson et al., Relative dielectron yields in p+p and p+d interactions from Eß,om= 1.0–4.9 GeV, Phys Lett B316:245 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.K.A. Jenkins et al.,Measurements of wide angle elastic scattering of pions and protons off protons, Phys Rev D21:2445 (1980). R.C. Kammerud et al.,Large-angle proton-proton elastic scattering at intermediate momenta, Phys Rev D4:1309 (1971). D.T. Williams et al.,Wide angle proton-proton elastic scattering from 1.3 to 3.0 GeV/c, N Cim. 8A:447 (1972).Google Scholar
- 11.F.D. Berg et al.,Transverse momentum distributions of n mesons in near-threshold relativistic heavy ion reactions, Phys Rev Lett 26:445 (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.Particle Data Group, Review of Particle Properties, Phys Rev D50: 1173 (1994).Google Scholar