Fabrication and Texture Characterization of Bulk (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox and Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox Superconductors
Bulk (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox (Bi-2223) and Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox (Bi-2212) superconductors were fabricated by sinter forging. Bi-2223 (≈90% Bi-2223, 10% (Bi,Pb)2Sr2CaCu2Ox + other phases) and Bi-2212 (nearly phase pure) powders were first synthesized and then cold pressed into bars that were «50% dense. These bars were surrounded by Ag foil, heated in air to ≈845°C, and compressed for 3–6 h. The resultant bars were dense and highly textured. At 77 K, the Bi-2223 exhibited transport critical current density (Jc) values of 2000–8000 A/cm2; the Bi-2212 exhibited very low Jc. Extent of texture was evaluated by three X-ray diffraction methods: 2θ scans, rocking curves, and orientation distribution functions. It was found that Jc correlated best with the orientation distribution functions.
KeywordsCritical Current Density Orientation Distribution Function Transport Critical Current Density Polycrystalline Superconductor Boundary Weak Link
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Beyers and T. M. Shaw, The structure of Y1Ba2Cu3O7_δ and its derivatives, Sol. State Phys. 42:135(1989).Google Scholar
- 4.J. O. Willis, J. Y. Coulter, E. J. Peterson, G. F. Chen, L. L. Daemen, L. N. Bulaevskii, M. P. Maley, G. N. Riley, W. L. Carter, S. E. Dorris, M. T. Lanagan, and B. C. Prorok, Dependence of the angular anisotropy of the critical current density on texture in silver-sheathed Bi-2223 tapes, Adv. Cryo. Eng. 40:9 (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.D. M. Kroeger and A. Goyal, Models for long-range current flow in bulk oxide superconductors, J. Met. 46:14 (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.B. D. Cullity, Elements of X-ray Diffraction, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1978.Google Scholar
- 11.D. B. Knorr, H. Weiland, and J. A. Szpunar, Applying texture analysis to materials engineering problems, J. Met. 46:32 (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.J. S. Kallend, U. F. Kocks, A. D. Rollett, and H.-R. Wenk, Operational texture analysis, Mater. Sci. Eng. A132:l (1991).Google Scholar
- 14.A. C. Biondo, J. S. Kallend, C.-T. Wu, W. L. Knapp, M. T. Lanagan, and K. C. Goretta, Texture analysis of critical current density in Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox tapes, Appl. Supercond. 3:in press (1995).Google Scholar
- 16.N. Chen, A. C. Biondo, S. E. Dorris, K. C. Goretta, M. T. Lanagan, C. A. Youngdahl, and R. B. Poeppel, Sinter-forged (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox superconductors, Supercond. Sei. Technol. 6:674 (1993).Google Scholar
- 17.K. C. Goretta, L. J. Martin, D. Singh, R. B. Poeppel, N. Chen, C.-Y. Chu, J. L. Routbort, and R. A. Gleixner, Mechanical properties of fiber-reinforced YBa2Cu3Ox and Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox bars, Adv. Cryo. Eng. 40:63 (1994).Google Scholar
- 19.A. C. Biondo, Texture analysis of high Tc superconductors, Ph.D. thesis, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois (1992).Google Scholar
- 21.Chang Fanggao, P. J. Ford, G. A. Saunders, Li Jiaquing, D. P. Almond, B. Chapman, M. Cankurtaran, R. B. Poeppel, and K. C. Goretta, Anisotropic elastic and non-linear acoustic properties of very dense textured Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox, Supercond. Sci. Technol. 6:484(1993).Google Scholar
- 23.A. C. Biondo, J. S. Kallend, A. J. Schultz, and K. C. Goretta, Texture analysis of bulk YBa2Cu3Ox by neutron diffraction, in 2nd World Congress on Superconductivity, ed. C. G. Burnham, World Scientific, Singapore, 1992, p. 361.Google Scholar