Epoxy Resin Developments for the Atlas and CMS Superconducting Magnets Impregnation
Two huge superconducting magnets are now under design for the future detectors of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN: the ATLAS toroidal system and the CMS solenoid. Both of them are designed to be wet impregnated with epoxy resin. Because of their large dimensions, and the indirect cooling of the superconductor, the strength of the resin and of the resin/conductor interface is of major importance. A new generation of epoxy resins for vacuum/pressure impregnation methods are now tested. Special care is taken to understand the influence of the macromolecular structure and of the cure cycle on the mechanical behaviour of the resin at cryogenic temperature. The paper will present preliminary results about the mechanical properties, the density and the chemical contraction occuring during the polymerisation for this new generation of epoxy resins.
KeywordsLarge Hadron Collider Cryogenic Temperature Adhesive Joint Linear Shrinkage Cure Cycle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.C. Lottin et al., «Conceptual design of the CMS 4 Tesla solenoid», Unpublished, submitted to this conference.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Middleton. P. Hey, B. Colyer, «The impregnation of superconducting windings with epoxy resins», 1972. Science Research Council. Rapport RHEL/R 265.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Colyer, «The impregnation of superconducting windings with epoxy resins», 1972, Science Research Council, Rapport RHEL/R 264.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Moriyama. Y. Inoue. H. Mitsu1y. Y. Sanada, Y. Kobayashi, «Several properties of impregnating epoxy resins used for superconducting coils». 1992. Advances in Cryogenic Engineering -Materials, Vol. 38,’p.-339–346.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Hartwig. «Mechanical and electrical low temperature properties of high polymers», 1979. Nonmetallic Materials and Composites at Low Temperatures, p.33–50.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Van de Voorde. «Results of physical tests on polymers at cryogenic», 1975, CERN ISR-MA/75–38.Google Scholar
- 7.A. R.C. Reid. J.M. Prausnitz, B. Poling. «The propcrlics of Gases and Liquids». McGraw-Hill, New York (19xx).Google Scholar