Fracture Toughness of Partially Welded Joints of SUS316 in High Magnetic Field at 4K
Two kinds of partially welded austenitic stainless steel joints were prepared using SUS 316, 75 mm thick. One joint was fabricated using tungsten inert gas welding and metal arc gas welding, and the other was electron beam welded. Compact tension specimens for fracture toughness tests were machined out from these welded plates in the thickness direction. The fracture toughness tests of these specimens with natural cracks were carried out in 0, 8, and 14 T fields at 4 K.
The test results show that there is no strong effect of the high magnetic field on the fracture toughness of these joints, and the electron beam welded joints give a very low toughness in any case because of the complicated natural crack front shape.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Crack Front Crack Opening Displacement Crack Extension High Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J.W. Chan, D. Chu, C. Tseng, and J.W. Morris, Jr., Cryogenic Fracture Behavior of 316LN in Magnetic Fields up to 14.6 T, Adv. Cryo. Eng., 40:1215 (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.E. Fukushima, S. Kobatake, M. Tanaka, and H. Ogiwara, Fracture Toughness Tests on 304 Stainless Steel in High Magnetic Fields at Cryogenic Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng., 34:367 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.J.W. Morris, Jr., J. Glazer and J. W. Chan, The Metallurgical Determinants of Toughness at Cryogenic Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng., 36:777 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Shibata, Y. Kurita, T. Shimonosono, Y. Murakami, S. Awaji, and K. Watanabe, Effects of High Magnetic Fields on Martensitic Transformation at Cryogenic Temperatures for Variously Heat Treated Stainless Steels, Adv. Cryo. Eng., 40.T207 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Nishimura, R.L. Tobler, H. Tamura, S. Imagawa, T. Mito, J. Yamamoto, O. Motojima, H. Takahashi, and S. Suzuki, Fracture Toughness of Partially Welded Joints of SUS316 Stainless Steel at 4 K by Large Bend-Bar Tests, 14th Conference on Magnet Technology, E86, Tampere, Finland, June 1995.Google Scholar