Ramp Rate Sensitivity in Accelerator Magnets
Degraded magnet performance, sometimes quite dramatic, was observed in many dipole magnets built for the SSC. A number of magnets which exhibited degraded performance fell into two classes, ingeniously referred to as type “A” and “B”. As a result of a great deal of theoretical and experimental work, considerable progress has been made toward understanding this behavior. This article reviews much of this work, and speculates as to how better magnets might be produced using the results of what we have learned.
KeywordsDipole Magnet Eddy Current Ramp Rate Magnet Performance Induce Eddy Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Martin N. Wilson, “Superconducting Magnets,” Oxford University Press, New York (1983), Ch. 5.Google Scholar
- 2.Ibid, p. 27ff.Google Scholar
- 4.CH. Walters, Design of multistrand conductors for superconducting magnet windings, Brookhaven National Laboratories informal report BNL 18928 AADD 74–2(1974).Google Scholar
- 8.W. J. Carr, Jr., Interstrand Eddy Currents in an SSC Cable Based on Morgan’s Model, Westinghouse Science and Technology Center report 94–9TM0-SSCRR-M1, (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.W. J. Carr, Jr., “AC Loss and Macroscopic Theory of Superconductors,” Gordon and Breech, New York (1983).Google Scholar
- 10.W. J. Carr, Jr., and V. T. Kovachev, Interstrand eddy current losses in ssc magnets, to be published in Cryogenics (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.G. T. Mallick, Jr., J. M. Toms, W. J. Carr, Jr., and V. T. Kovachev, Eddy currents in superconducting Rutherford Cables, to be published in Cryogenics.Google Scholar
- 16.T. Ojitsu, Y. Zhao, A. Akhmetov, and A. Devred, Influence of cable eddy currents on magnetic field harmonics, presented at the ICFA workshop on AC superconductivity, June 23–25, 1992, KEK, Tsukuba, Japan.Google Scholar
- 17.A. P. Verweij, A. den Ouden, B. Sachse, and H. H. J. ten Kate, The effect of transverse pressure on the interstrand coupling loss of Rutherford type of cables, in “Advances in Cryogenic Engineering Vol 40,” R. P. Reed, editor, Plenum Press, New York, (1994), p.521.Google Scholar
- 18.R. I. Schermer, Operation of magnets with heat deposition in the windings, SSCL Report MD-TA- 173(1991)Google Scholar
- 19.W. J. Carr, Jr., Contribution of ramped field loss to quench current degradation in SSC magnets., Westinghouse Science and Technology Center report 94–9TM0,SSCRR-M4(1994).Google Scholar
- 22.W. J. Carr, Jr., G. T. Mallick, Jr., and V. T. Kovachev, Theory of quench current in B-type SSC magnets, Westinghouse Science and Technology Center report 94-TM0-SSCRR-M3(1994).Google Scholar