Miniaturized Multilayer Filters with YBa2Cu3O7-δ on LaAlO3 and MgO Substrates
The need for filter miniaturization without performance degradation has become a critical requirement for the payload of the next generation of communication satellites. Currently, these payloads contain hundreds of filters that are used for frequency multiplexing. Typically, these filters consist of dual mode cavities or dielectric filled resonators which generally are large and heavy. An ongoing effort between the Electron Device Technology Branch of the NASA LeRC and Space System/Loral has resulted in a demonstration of a proof-of-concept (POC) C-band YBa2Cu3O7-δ (YBCO) on LaA1O3 multilayer filter with a raw value for the minimum insertion loss of 0.18 dB at 77 K, 3.81 GHz, and ~3 W input power. Implementing this dual-mode, four pole filter with gold instead of YBCO resulted in a minimum insertion loss of 3.39 dB at room temperature and of 1.61 dB at 77 K at 3.86 GHz and 10 dBm input power. The volume of this filter is ~0.46 cm3 which is less than 1 percent of the volume of its dielectric counterparts at C-band. The filter was also implemented using MgO substrates, which have a dielectric constant lower than their LaA1O3 counterparts (9.7 versus 24, respectively). For aYBCO on MgO filter, a raw minimum insertion loss of 0.34 dB was measured at 6.09 GHz and 77 K, while its gold counterpart exhibited 1.86 dB and 1.11 dB at 5.98 GHz at room temperature and 77 K, respectively. The advantages and limitations of this novel filter configuration will be discussed.
KeywordsHigh Temperature Superconducting Dual Mode YBCO Film Filter Configuration Power Handling Capability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.A. Curtis and S.J. Fiedziuszko, Miniature dual mode microstrip filters, IEEE MIT-S Dig: 443 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.G.L. Matthaei and G.L. Hey-Shipton, Novel staggered resonator array superconducting 2.3-GHz bandpass filter, IEEE M7T-S Dig: 1269 (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.R.R. Mansour, B. Jolley, V. Dokas, S. Ye, and F. Thomson, Design of high power superconductive output multiplexers, IEEE MIT-S Dig: 1485 (1996).Google Scholar
- 9.R.R. Mansour, B. Jolley, S. Ye, F. Thomson and V. Dokas, Assessment of the Power Handling Capability of HTS-Filters, IEEE MTT—S Workshop, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.C.L. Matthaei and G.L. Hey-Shipton, High temperature superconducting 8.45-GHz bandpass filter for the deep space network, IEEE M7T-S Dig: 1273 (1993).Google Scholar