Investigations on BaO2 Additions in Ag-Clad Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox Conductors
The influence of the addition of BaO2 on magnetic and transport properties of Bi2Sr2CaCu2OX superconductors was studied. Several compositions with varying BaO2 fractions were investigated. Both bulk samples and Ag-clad wires were fabricated for every composition. Differential thermal analysis and x-ray diffraction measurements showed a reaction between BaO2 and the precursor, while microstructural investigations revealed that the Ba remained homogeneously distributed in the Bi-2212. Magnetization measurements using SQUID and vibrating sample magnetometer showed improved flux pinning in the doped samples. Heat treatment process was varied to optimize the critical current densities. High current densities were achieved at high magnetic fields.
KeywordsDifferential Thermal Analysis Critical Current Density Vibrate Sample Magnetometer Magnetization Hysteresis Heat Treatment Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.W. Dai, K.R. Marken Jr., S. Hong, L. Cowey, K Timms and IMCDougall, “Fabrication of High T, Coils from Bi-2212 Powder in Tube and DIP Coated Tape”, Proceedings Applied Superconductivity Conference, Boston (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.H.W. Weijers, D. Hazelton, L. Cowey, Y.S. Hascicek, I. Mutlu. U.P.Trociewitz and S.W. van Sciver, “Bi-2212 Coils for IT Class Insert Coils”, Proceedings ICMC-conference, Portland (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.U. Balachandran, “Development of Ceramic Superconmductors for Electric Power Aplications”, Proceedings of International Workshop on High-Temperature Superconductivity, Jaipur (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.P. Haldar and L. Motwidlo, J. Metals 44 (10), 54–58 (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.K.C. Goretta, V.R. Todt, D.J. Miller, M.T. Langan, Y.L. Chen and U. Balachandran, “Engineered Flux-Pinning Centers in Bi2Sr2CaCu2O, and TIBa2Ca2Cu3O, Superconductors”, Journal of Electronic Materials, Vol. 24, No. 12 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.E.E. Hellstrom, “Processing Bi-Based High-T, Superconducting Tapes, Wires, and Thick Films for Conductor Applications”,in: “High-Temperature Superconducting Materials Science and Engineering”, Donglu Shi, ed., Pergamon (1995), p. 383 f.f.Google Scholar