Sheath and Substrate Losses in High-Tc Superconductors
Metallic substrates and sheaths in practical high-Tc superconductors will produce extra losses in ac operation. These losses are investigated in general, and applied to the case of a Ag or Ag-Mg sheath, and a Ni-alloy substrate, for the range of frequencies used in power systems (order of 100 Hz). For generality a ferromagnetic substrate is considered, but in a thin tape the ferromagnetism is found to have little effect on the principal loss, which is an eddy current loss for a magnetic field applied perpendicular to the face of the tape.
KeywordsSkin Depth Thin Strip Hysteresis Loss Eddy Current Loss Outer Sheath
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.A one-dimensional solution of (12) which has the proper symmetry is given by e“ sinh(1 + i)x/tS Google Scholar
- but it does not satisfy the boundary conditions.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. lwasa, E. J. McNiff, R. H. Bellisand, and K. Sato, Cryogenics 33: 837 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.O. Dur, S. Nakamae, J, Schwartz, Y.S. Hascicek, presented at 1996 Applied Superconductivity Conference.Google Scholar
- 7.C. E. Oberly, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 8.R. M. Bozorth, “Ferromagnetism”,D. Van Nostrand, New York (1951) p. 778.Google Scholar
- 9.R. M. Del Vecchio and J. Seiko, IEEE Trans. MAG-17: 1248 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Sikora, J. Purczynski, W. Lipinski, and M. Gramz, IEEE Trans. MAG-14: 383 (1978).Google Scholar