Synthesis of RE (Gd, Sm, Nd) Ba2Cu3O7−x Superconductors through the Diffusion Process
The diffusion reaction between 211 oxide substrate (where 211 represents the atomic ratio of RE:Ba:Cu; RE: Gd, Sm, Nd) and 035 oxide coating layer has been studied. Thick and uniform 123 layer is synthesized for all RE systems. Moreover, in Sm and Nd systems 224 layer is formed between the substrate and the 123 layer. The thickness of 224 layer depends on the 02 partial pressure when reacted in the mixed gas of O2 and Ar. The formation of the 224 layer is suppressed by changing the reaction temperature and the atmosphere. The Gd-123 layer formed by the diffusion reaction is composed of relatively large columnar and random grains. The transition temperature (T c) of RE-123 phases depends on the O2 partial pressure of O2/Ar mixed gas atmosphere. T c of the specimen reacted in open air is appreciably improved by the post annealing in O2. The highest offset T c obtained in the present study for Gd, Sm and Nd systems are 94.0 K, 92.3 K and 91.4 K, respectively. The formation of thick Gd-123 layers on Ni tape has been also performed through the diffusion reaction.
KeywordsPartial Pressure Coating Layer Diffusion Layer Diffusion Reaction Post Annealing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Tachikawa, N. Sadakata, M. Sugimoto and O. Kohno, Jpn. J. Appl. Physics, 27: L1501 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Tachikawa, T. Watanabe, T. Inoue and K. Shirasu, Jpn. J. Appl. Physics, 30: 639 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Tachikawa, A. Kikuchi, T. Kinoshita, T. Nakamura and S. Komiya, “Adv. in Superconductivity VIII,” H. Hayakawa and Y. Enomoto, eds., Springer-Verlag, Tokyo (1996), p. 915.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Tachikawa, Y Shimbo, M. Ono, M. Kabasawa and S. Kosuge, “Proc. 11th Intern. Conf. on Magnet Technology,” T. Sekiguchi and S. Shimamoto eds., Inst. Elec. Engrs.,Japan (1990), p. 1494Google Scholar
- 5.S. Takekawa, H. Nozaki, Y. Ishizawa and N.Iyi, Jpn. J. Appl. Physics, 26: L2076 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Sano, Y. Hayakawa and M. Kumagawa, Supercond. Sci. Technol., 9: 478 (1996).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Murakami, N Sakai, T. Higuchi and S. I. Yoo, Supercond. Sci. Technol., 9: 1015 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Asano, K. Takita, H. Katoh, H. Akinaga, T. Ishigaki, M. Nishino, M. Imai and K. Masuda, Jpn. J. Appl. Physics, 26: L1410 (1987).Google Scholar