Effects of Stress Level in Pre-Cracking on Fracture Toughness of SUS 304L Steel in an 8 Tesla Magnetic Field at 4K
The effects of an 8 tesla magnetic field on fracture toughness of SUS 304L steel were examined at 4K in order to clarify conflicting results among previous reports on the magnetic effects. In order to make clear the reason for the conflict between the results at Toshiba Corporation and at the University of Tokyo, the mean maximum stress in the ligament region during pre-cracking was controlled as similarly low as possible as that in the previous work at Toshiba Corporation. The decrease in the mean maximum stress down to the value of that in pre-cracking at Toshiba Corporation did not affect Jic value and tearing modulus in zero magnetic field. And the decrease showed no magnetic effect on Jic value and tearing modulus, whereas Jic value and tearing modulus was increased and decreased respectively by the application of an 8 tesla field in the previous tests at Toshiba Corporation.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Stress Intensity Factor Martensitic Transformation Maximum Stress Austenitic Stainless Steel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Shibata, T. Shimonosono and T. Tanaka: Effects of Pre-cracking Temperature on Fracture Toughness of SUS 304L Steel in a High Magnetic Field at 4K, Annual Report of the Eng. Research Institute Fac. of Eng. Univ. of Tokyo, (1995), vol. 54, 209–217.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Shimonosono, Y. Kurita and K. Shibata: Effects of a High Magnetic Field on Fracture Toughness of SUS 304L Steel at 4K, Annual Report of the Eng. Research Institute Fac. of Eng., Univ. of Tokyo, (1993), vol. 52, 141–146.Google Scholar
- 4.Z. Nishiyama: “Martensitic Transformation”, Academic Press, Inc., New York, (1978), 269.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Shibata, T. Shimonosono and T. Tanaka: Effects of Pre-cracking Condition on Fracture Toughness of SUS 304L Steel in an 8 Tesla Magnetic Field at 4K: Proceedings of 16th International Cryogenic Materials Conference, (1997), 1883–1886.Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Kurita, T. Shimonosono, and K. Shibata: Effects of an 8T Magnetic Field on Tensile Deformation of Stainless Steels at 4K, Advances in Cryogenic Engineering Materials, (1994), vol. 40, 1223–1229.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Shimonosono, H. Nakajima, H. Tsuji and K. Shibata: Effects of an 8T magnetic field on mechanical properties of JJ1 steel with a weld line at 4K, Annual Report of the Eng. Research Institute Fac. of Eng., Univ. of Tokyo, (1994), vol. 53, 257–262.Google Scholar