Mechanical Properties of Fiber-Reinforced YBa2Cu3Ox and Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox Bars
Bars of YBa2Cu3Ox (123) and Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox (2212) were examined at room temperature for strength in four—point bending and fracture toughness. The 123 was reinforced with 15 vol.% Y2BaCuO5 (211) fibers and processed to 90–91% density by cold pressing and sintering. The 2212 was reinforced with 15 vol.% 2212 fibers and processed to ≈90% density by sinter forging. The 123/211 composites had a fracture toughness of 1.9 MPa(m)0.5, which is 20–30% higher than that of corresponding monoliths, but exhibited no improvement in strength. The strength and fracture toughness of the 2212/2212 composites were 102 MPa and 2.7 MPa(m)0.5, respectively, which were slight improvements over those of the monoliths. Transport critical current densities at 77 K were only slightly affected by the fiber additions.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Critical Current Density Fiber Addition Scanning Electron Microscopy Photomicrograph Transport Critical Current Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alford, N.N., Birchall, J.D., and Kendall, K., 1986, Engineering ceramics — the process problem, Mater. Sci. Technol. 2: 329.Google Scholar
- Brown, Jr., W.F., and Srawley, J.E., 1967, “Plane Strain Crack Toughness Testing of High Strength Metallic Materials (ASTM STP 410),” ASTM, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Chen, N., Biondo, A.C., Dorns, S.E., Goretta, K.C., Lanagan, M.T., Youngdahl, C.A., and Poeppel, R.B., 1993, Sinter-forged (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox superconductors, 1993, Supercond. Sci. Technol. 6:in press.Google Scholar
- De Arellano-López, AR., Goretta, K.C., Routbort, J.L., Miller, D.J., and Dominguez-Rodriguez, A., 1991, High-temperature compression of polycrystalline Y2BaCuO5, Ceramica Acta 3: 5.Google Scholar
- Goretta, KC., Chen, N., Lanagan, M.T., Wu, W., Singh,J.P., Olson, R.A., Routbort, J.L., and Poeppel, R.B., 1993a, Sintering and annealing of bulk high-Tc superconductors (Y-Ba-Cu-O) to effective properties, Ind. Heating,February issue, p. 40.Google Scholar
- Hinks, D.G., Soderholm, L., Capone II, D.W., Jorgensen, J.D., Schuller, I.K, Segre, C., Mang, K., and Grace, J.D., 1987, Phase diagram and superconductivity in the Y-Ba-Cu-O system, Appl. Phys. Lett. 50: 1688.Google Scholar
- Imam, M.A., Singh, A.K., Sadananda, K, and Osofsky, M., 1989, Preparation of dense bulk high Tc superconducting materials using hot isostatic pressing, IEEE Trans. Magn. 25: 2010.Google Scholar
- Martin, L.J., 1993, Argonne National Laboratory, unpublished results.Google Scholar
- Meyer III, H.M., Hill, D.M., Wagener, T.J., Weaver, J.H., Gallo, C.F., and Goretta, KC., 1989, Single-crystal YBa2Cu3O7_x and Bi2Cal+xSr2_xCu2O8+y surfaces and Ag adatom-induced modification, J. Appi. Phys. 65: 3130.Google Scholar
- Singh, J.P., Kullberg, M.L., Poeppel, R.B., Goretta KC., and Leu, H.J., 1990, YBa2Cu3Ox composites with improved toughness and strength, in: “Advances in Superconducting Materials and Electronics Technologies,” D. N. Palmer, ed., Am. Soc. Mech. Eng., New York.Google Scholar