Fabrication of High-Tc Superconducting Electronic Devices Using the Laser-Writing Technique
We report our progress on the fabrication of thin-film, high-Ta, superconducting electronic devices using a laser-writing patterning technique. In this technique, the epitaxial YBa2Cu3O7-x film is heated up by a focused laser beam in a controlled, oxygen or oxygen-free, ambient atmosphere. Selective heating allows to form, in the same film, planar structures with the oxygen-rich (superconducting) regions next to the oxygen-poor (insulating at low temperatures) ones. The patterns are characterized by well-defined, highly uniform lines and very sharp (less than 1 µm wide) interfaces. The oxygen-rich regions posses excellent superconducting properties with the critical temperature and the superconducting transition width the same as those of as-deposited films. The critical current density is above 2 MA/cm2 at 77 K. Simultaneously, the oxygen-poor regions are practically insulating below 100 K, with the sheet resistance above 10 MΩ/square. A number of electronic devices, including microbridges, interconnects, coplanar transmission lines and resonators, and field-effect devices have been fabricated and tested. All these devices are completely monolithic and their operation is based on combined properties of the oxygen-rich and oxygen-poor YBa2Cu3O7-x phases.
KeywordsCritical Current Density YBCO Film Laser Writing Superconducting Transition Width Laser Energetic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See, e.g., A. I. Braginski, Superconducting devices and their applications, in: “Springer Proceedings in Physics, vol. 64” H. Koch and H. Lübbig, eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Sobolewski, W. Xiong, W. Kula, and J. R. Gavaler, Laser patterning of Y-BaCu-O thin-film circuits, Appl. Phys. Lett. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Sobolewski, W. Xiong, W. Kula, and B. Mclntrye, Electrical and structural properties of the YBCO superconducting-semiconducting interface. To appear in Physica B, (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.R. Sobolewski, W. Xiong, W. Kula, W. N. Maung, and D. P. Butler, Monolithic Y-Ba-Cu-O electronic devices fabricated using the laser-writing patterning technique, submitted to ISEC’93, Boulder, CO, Aug. 1993Google Scholar
- 12.W. Kula, and R. Sobolewski, Electric-field-effect devices based on partially oxygen-depleted, superconducting Y-Ba-Cu-O thin films—these Proceedings.Google Scholar