Heavy Ion Irradiation of Bi-2223 Silver-Clad Tapes for Superconducting Current Density Enhancement
Silver-clad composite tapes of 13i(Pb)SrCaCuO-2223 were irradiated with 1 GeV Au23+ ions perpendicular to the tape plane, creating columnar tracks with 10 nm diameter. Detailed transmission electron microscopy shows continuous columns, but with variations in the track thickness of +/− 2 nm. Magnetic hysteresis measurements show substantial enhancements of superconducting current density at most temperatures and fields. Granular and nongranular models for the origin of the magnetic signals are discussed. The results indicate the potential for further performance improvement in high-temperature superconducting wire technology, as well as limits in the high-field performance at 77 K.
KeywordsVortex Anisotropy Acetone Attenuation Coherence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Y. Yamada, M. Satou, S. Murase, T. Kitamura and Y. Kamisada, Proceedings of ISS’92, Nov. 16–19, Kobe, Japan, to be published.Google Scholar
- 3.Q. Li, K. Brodersen, H. A. Hjuler, T. Freltoft, R. Riddle and C. S. Jacobsen, Physica C, to be published.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Larbalestier, X. Y. Cai, Y. Feng, H. Edelman, A. Umezawa, G. N. Riley Jr. and W. L. Carter, “Local Measurements of the Critical Current Density in BSCCO Ag-Sheathed Tapes”, submitted to Science.Google Scholar
- 5.M. J. Minot, W. L. Carter, J. J. Gannon Jr., R. S. Hamilton, P. W. Miles, D. R. Parker, G. N. Riley Jr., M. Rupich, M. Teplitsky, E. D. Thompson and K. Zafar, ICMC Conference, Abuquerque NM, July 12–16, 1993; also G. N. Riley Jr. and W. L. Carter, Bull American Ceramic Society 72, 91 (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.LN. Bulaevsky, L. L. Daemen, M. P. Maley and J. Y. Coulter, Physica C, to be published.Google Scholar
- 9.A. P. Malozemoff, W. L. Carter, J. Gannon, C. H. Joshi, P. Miles, M. Minot, D. Parker, G. N. Riley Jr., E. Thompson and G Yurek, Cryogenics 32, 478 (1993).Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Marwick, L. Civale, L. Krusin-Elbaum, R. Wheeler IV, J. R. Thompson, T. K. Worthington, M. A. Kirk, Y. R. Sun, H. R. Kerchner and F. Holtzberg, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. B, to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Bulaevsky, private communication.Google Scholar
- 16.A. P. Malozemoff, AIP Conf. Proc. 251, ed. Y. H. Kao et al. ( American Institute of Physics, New York, 1992 ), p. 6.Google Scholar