Effects of Synergistic Irradiation and Stress on FRP at Cryogenic Temperatures
Creep and relaxation tests of epoxy-based FRP in bending under irradiation condition have been carried out to investigate the synergistic effects of radiation and stress on the mechanical properties of FRP. Simultaneous supply of stress and irradiation on FRP enhanced creep rates and relaxation in comparison with supply of the stress after irradiating. A visco-elastic test and a solvent-swelling test were also carried out to study the molecular changes of the irradiated FRP. Increase of molecular weight between crosslinks was found to be enhanced by the synergistic application of radiation and stress. The mechanism of increased damage of FRP induced by the effects of simultaneous stress and irradiation is discussed.
KeywordsCreep Rate Loss Tangent Creep Test Liquid Nitrogen Temperature Creep Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Evans and J.T. Morgan, A review of the effects of ionizing radiation on plastic materials at low temperatures, Adv. Cryogenic Eng.(Materials)28:147(1982).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Egusa, Irradiation effects and degradation mechanism on the mechanical properties of polymer matrix composites at low temperatures, Adv. Cryogenic Eng. (Materials) 36: 861 (1990).Google Scholar
- 3.M.A. Mokul’skii, Kinetic process in irradiated substances, Vyskomol. soedin.2:No.1, 119 (1960) (Polymer Sci. USSR, 2:4, 211(1961)).Google Scholar
- 4.V.F. Stepanov, S.E. Vaisberg, and V.L. Karpov, Time-to-rupture and creep in radiation field, FizikoKhimicheskaya Mekhanika Materialov, 15, No.3: 306 (1969) (Soviet Mat. Sci.237).Google Scholar
- 5.M.P. Vershinina, V.R. Regel’ and N.N. Chernyi, Effect of exposure to (Polymer Sci. USSR, 1606(1964)).Google Scholar
- 6.D.T. Hill, D.A. Lewis and J.H. O’donnel, Accelerated failure of bisphenol-a polysulfone during electron beam irradiation under an applied stress, J.Apll. Polymer Sci. 44: 115 (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.J.T. Dickinson, M.L. Klakken, M.H. Miles and L.C. Jensen, Electron-beam-induced fracture of polymers J. Polymer Sci.(Polymer Phys. Ed.)23:2273 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.J.P. Bell, A.S. Michaels, A.S. Hoffman and E.A. Mason, Transient acceleration of creep rates of polymers during high intensity irradiation, Adv. Chem. Soc., 66: 79 (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Nishiura, S. Nishijima, K. Katagiri, T. Okada, J. Yasuda and T. Hirokawa, Radiation damage of composite materials - Creep and swelling -, Adv. Cryogenic Eng.(Materials) 36B: 855 (1990).Google Scholar
- 10.T. Nishiura, S. Nishijima, K. Katagiri, T. Okada, J. Yasuda and T. Hirokawa, Creep test of composite materials under irradiation condition, Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Magnet Tech. Eds. T. Sekiguchi and S. Shimamoto, Elsvier 708(1990).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Murayama and J.P. Bell, Relation between the network structure and dynamic mechanical properties of a typical amine-cured epoxy polymer, J. Polymer Sci.: A-2, 8: 437 (1970).Google Scholar
- 13.P.J.Flory, Satistical mechanics of swelling of network strucures, J. Chemical Phys. 1. No. 18: 108 (1950)Google Scholar