Development of a Cryogenic System for the Large Helical Device
The construction and the cooling schemes of the cryogenic system for the Large Helical Device (LHD) are reported. The LHD is the first fully superconducting heliotron type experimental fusion device, which is under construction at the National Institute for Fusion Science (NIFS). The cryogenic system for the LHD consists of the helium refrigerator, the superconducting helical and poloidal coils and the peripheral equipment, such as superconducting bus-lines, control-valve-boxes and cryogenic transfer-lines. Three different cooling schemes are utilized for each cooling object; a pool boiling for the helical coils, a forced flow supercritical helium for the poloidal coils, a forced flow two phase helium for the coil supporting structure and the superconducting bus-lines. Many technical know-how were applied to develop the complicated cryogenic system for the LHD, which we could gather during the engineering research and developments such as the single coil test of the IV poloidal coil, the development and tests of the full-scale model of superconducting bus-lines and the test operation of the helium refrigerator with a dummy load apparatus.
KeywordsTotal Heat Europe Transportation Helium Liquefaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. Motojima, et al., “Large Helical Device Project for SC Steady-State Fusion Experiment,” Proceedings of the 16th ICEC/ICMC. Kitakyushu. Japan (1997). p. 725.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Satoh, et al., “Design and Construction of Cryogenic Components for LHD.” Proceedings of the 16th ICEC/ICMC, Kitakyushu, Japan (1997). p. 63.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Takahata. et al., “Hydraulic Characteristics and Stability for the Experiments on a Single Inner Vertical Coil (EXSIV) for the Large Helical Device.” Proceedings of the 16th ICEC/ICMC. Kitakyushu Japan (1997), p. 739.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Mito, et al. “Test Facilities of the Experiments on a Single Inner Vertical Coil (EXSIV) for the Large Helical Device.” Proceedings of the 16th ICEC/ICMC. Kitakyushu. Japan (1997). p. 743Google Scholar
- 5.R. Maekawa. et al., “Operation Characteristics of the Helium Refrigerator with a Dummy Load Apparatus for the Large Helical Device.” presented this conference. CPE-6.Google Scholar