Attachment of the S-Layer of Caulobacter crescentus to the Cell Surface
In most cases S-layers attach to the outer membrane of gram-negative bacteria by non-covalent interactions (Koval and Murray, 1984; Sleytr and Messner, 1988). Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) (Dooley et al., 1985) or proteins (Thorne et al., 1975) have been implicated as the molecules to which the S-layer protein interacts to maintain cell association. This report suggests that another outer membrane component, termed the S-layer-associated oligosaccharide (SAO), is the molecule responsible for the attachment of RsaA, the S-layer protein of Caulobacter crescentus, to the cell surface.
KeywordsSurface Array High Molecular Weight Component Indirect Immunofluorescent Microscopy Caulobacter Crescentus Outer Membrane Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dooley, J.S.G., Lallier, R., Shaw, D.H., and Trust, T.J., 1985, Electrophoretic and immunochemical analyses of the lipopolysaccharides of various strains of Aeromonas hydrophila, J. Bacteriol. 164: 263.Google Scholar
- Doran, J.L, Bingle, W.H., and Page, W.J., 1987, Role of calcium in assembly of the Azotobacter vinelandii surface array, J. Gen. Microbiol. 133: 399.Google Scholar
- Koval, S.F., and, Murray R.G.E., 1984, The isolation of surface array proteins from bacteria, Can. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 62: 1181.Google Scholar
- Koval, S.F., and, Murray R.G.E., 1985, Effect of calcium on the in vivo assembly of the surface protein of Aquaspirillum serpens VHA, Can. J. Microbiol. 31: 261.Google Scholar
- Logan, S.M., and Trust, T.J., 1984, Structural and antigenic heterogeneity of lipopolysaccharides of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli, Infect. Immun. 45: 210.Google Scholar
- Ravenscroft, N., Walker, S.G., Dutton, G.G.S., and Smit, J., 1992, Identification, isolation and structural studies of the outer membrane lipopolysaccharide of Caulobacter crescentus, J. Bacteriol.,in press.Google Scholar
- Sleytr, U. B., and Messner, P., 1988, Crystalline surface layers in procaryotes, J. Bacteriol. 170: 2891.Google Scholar
- Walker, S.G., Ravenscroft, N., and Smit, J, 1991, Isolation of the cell surface molecules of Caulobacter crescentus, Proceed. Can. Soc. Microbiol., Western Branch Annu. Meet., Vol. 22 abstr. II - 41.Google Scholar