Critical Points for Nonsmooth Functionals
The present Chapter deals with critical point theory for three different nonsmooth situations. First, we set forth the critical point theory for locally Lipschitz functionals, following the approach of Chang  and Clarke . Then a critical point theory is described for nonsmooth functionals expressed as a sum of a locally Lipschitz function and a convex, proper and lower semicontinuous function, using the development in Motreanu and Panagiotopoulos . Finally, the critical point theory for continuous functionals defined on a complete metric space as introduced by Degiovanni and Marzocchi  is presented.
KeywordsVariational Method Critical Point Theory Lower Semicontinuous Function Hemivariational Inequality Nonempty Closed Subset
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I. Ekeland, On the variational principle, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 47 (1974), 324353.Google Scholar
- D. Goeleven and D. Motreanu, Minimax methods of Szulkin’s type unilateral problems, Functional analysis. Selected topics. Dedicated to the memory of the late Professor P. K. Kamthan (Jain, Pawan K. (ed.)), Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 158–172, 1998.Google Scholar
- D. Goeleven, D. Motreanu, Y. Dumont and M. Rochdi, Variational and Hemivariational Inequalities, Theory, Methods and Applications,Volume I: Unilateral Analysis and Unilateral Mechanics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, to appear.Google Scholar
- D. Goeleven and D. Motreanu, Variational and Hemivariational Inequalities, Theory, Methods and Applications,Volume II: Unilateral Problems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, to appear.Google Scholar
- J. Haslinger and D. Motreanu, Hemivariational inequalities with a general growth condition: existence and approximation, submitted.Google Scholar
- J. Mawhin and M. Willem, Critical point theory and Hamiltonian systems, Applied Mathematical Sciences 74, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- D. Motreanu and P. D. Panagiotopoulos, Minimax Theorems and Qualitative Properties of the Solutions of Hemivariational Inequalities, Nonconvex Optimization and its Applications 29, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, 1998.Google Scholar
- J. R. Munkres, Elementary Differential Topology, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1966.Google Scholar
- Z. Naniewicz and P. D. Panagiotopoulos, Mathematical theory of hemivariational inequalities and applications, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Marcel Dekker 188, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- P. H. Rabinowitz, Minimax methods in critical point theory with applications to differential equations, CBMS Reg. Conf. Ser. in Math. 65, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, 1986.Google Scholar
- B. Ricceri, New results on local minima and their applications, in: Equilibrium Problems and Variational Models (editors: F. Giannessi, A. Maugeri and P. M. Pardalos), Taormina, 2–5 December 1998, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, 2001, pp. 255–268.Google Scholar